ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
What the manufacturers and thier salesmen do to sell is unfortunatley not covered by the NEC.
Our work is supposed to be up to at least that standard.
If the compressor comes with a set of manufacturers instruction about installation the by all means follow them. If all you have is the motor data plate then you have to use the code to determine a safe install.

ed
E
What the manufacturers and thier salesmen do to sell. . .
Our work is supposed to be up to at least that standard.
Ed,

I know that you didn't mean this, and that you really meant the NEC is our standard. . .but I sure did enjoy the laugh [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Al

Al Hildenbrand
N
Thanks Al
Guess i need to reread my posts to check myself.
Yes The NEC is our MINIUM standard.

ed
F
wow!! many thanks for your info and help with me and in fact,, i did talk to my comusmter and he decided go with hard wire and now it work really well .

winnie: let you know this is a genral usage motor 7.5 hp @1780 rpm [ this came off from nameplate. thanks .. [Linked Image]

merci , marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

W

winnie: let you know this is a genral usage motor 7.5 hp @1780 rpm [ this came off from nameplate. thanks . [Linked Image]

Wowsers. Making that work would require a hefty receptacle...probably cheaper to install a 240 to 600V step up transformer, suitable (lower current) receptacle, and get a 600V motor (*grin*)

I stand by my contention that if this were a _listed_ _ampere rated_ _appliance_, that the ampere rating could be used to determine conductor size, disconnect rating, and OCPD. But given that this is a general purpose _motor_ with a _horsepower_ rating sitting on an appliance, the _horsepower_ rating is what holds sway.

In my mind, the only still open is weather the provision which permits the use of the ampere rating for the 'disconnect means' makes using the ampere rating okay for selecting a receptacle. Again, this would not apply to the present case, but I believe that it does apply to the 'big orange store' compressors.

Thanks all for a great discussion, and good news that you were able to educate your customer, marc.

-Jon

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard