ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
DougW Offline OP
Went out before work today to walk the dog.

Noticed a piece of the plastic vent-guard ove the passenger door had fallen off. It's got cracks, it was cold last night, must have finally given way.

Was at the back of my truck, and noticed one of my pre-fab flex whips hanging from the trailer wiring under the bumper.

Walked closer, and discovered that the door to my truck cap was ajar.

Looked inside, and my tools belt with all my hand tools was missing.

In addition, my worm drive circular saw and my tool bucket (with extra tools/parts) was gone.

Called the cops - they don't fingerprint cars unless they've got a suspect already. Gave me a report number, and a pat on the back.

Added everything up - close to $1500.00.

Got a list of the tools I plan on circulating to the pawn shops & second-hand stores in the areas, with a business card attached. Luckily, everything's engraved, so it'll be easy to trace - it's just tracking the sh*t down that sucks.

Hope my insurance agent still likes me!

AAAIGH! This sucks!

S
Some contractors here in New York City weld bars or "grills" over the windows and special "roll down store-gate" type heavy duty locks on the doors in order to prevent that type of thing from happening.

Sorry to hear about the break in.... [Linked Image]

R
I've had my car/truck broke into three times, and I must say that NOTHING p**ses me off more. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
A
Do you have Marine Ins on your Liability Plan?

D
DougW Offline OP
originally posted by ayrton:

Do you have Marine Ins on your Liability Plan?

If that's the insurance that lets a platoon of Force Recon Devil Dawgs loose to look for my s**t, then I sure wish I had it!

I'd pop a cold one, sit back, and wait for the mushroom cloud!

Edited to add - I'm probably going to attach a piece of uni-strut to the back lid on the cap to keep it from being flexed, and attach it with Grade 8 bolts. (in addition to the grating over the back)

Told the wife I needed an enclosed steel topper, but when it's a choice between mortgage or "extras"... the roof over the head wins. Guess I'll just beef up the cap I have until I can get a better one.

And store my tools inside. (or maybe bolt a gang box inside the truck)

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-09-2004).]

L
LK Offline
Doug,
Welcome to the club, We now take home hand tools, and keep road kill tools only in the truck.
Every morning, load only the tools required for special jobs.
The best place to take your truck, to have it cleaned, and i don't mean washed, is the box stores, you just go in for a few minutes and it is cleaned faster than a car wash.

C
Sorry to hear you lost your tools, hand tools and pouches always seem to have a special added sentimental value to cavemen and women like us. It's like losing your broken-in baseball mit, yikes!

When I used a pickup truck with a cap for my work truck, I bolted a regular, full-sized gang box in the bed all the way to the front. I kept anything I didn't want to take in 'n out everyday inside. It was a pain-in-the-a** climbing in to get something, even though I was much younger then, but I never lost anything. Another tip is to take those pretty Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, and whatever tool carrying cases and spray paint them black...then they won't look so attractive and identifiable.

Andy

A
Doug,

Sorry to hear about your truck. Like others said I lock most tools up in a gang box locked to the truck. I don't know how much a steel topper is but when the time comes you might conceder a used step van instead. They are more secure, you don't have to crawel, and they hold more.

I priced out insurance on my tools once. I think it was $600-700 a year with a $500 deductable. They based it on insuring $1500-$2000 worth of tools. I don't know if they give you replacement value or depriciated value in a loss. It made about as much sence as geting full coverage on a new car.

I was looking at home ads in that area. We were looking at Gurnee, Wakegan, and North Chicago. What is your neiborhood like? Is it newer or older clean or unkept?

Tom

J
I have insurance on all my tolls. It's an add on to my liability ins. I think it was $400 extra per year for $6000 worth of tools. While I don't have all my tools with me all the time there are times I do.

J
Anybody here that does work in New York City probably has had their truck broken into or somebody else in the company who has. We had three van get hit in a week, I would imagine that it was hard to explain to the insurance guy what happened... We all have the hockey puck style locks on the truck and I have seen them on caps for pickup trucks too, I would guess a piece of deep strut on the inside with the pucks on the outside would slow them down. The also have an add on for the puck locks that surrounds then entine lock so you can't twist it iff with a huge pipe wrench. I would not be surprised if the insurance company requires you to beef up the locks, after our vans got hit all the techs got a memo that your personal hand tools would not be replaced if the pucks we not on, so now mine are on all the time... even in the driveway.

Jim

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard