C-H i don't think u are to far off. Expecially in the area of why certain parts of the wire melted. See my post 1 or 2 up.Or really any of what u posted for that matter. To this , just dawned on me. When the guys wired the house upstairs the wiring coming out of the box was longer then usual. Almost 12''. Downstairs HO had plug on fairly short wires. 3" out of box. The downstairs plug and sheathing would have absorbed the heat being shorter. Also exesive bends or tight bends upstairs compounded with a short may account for some resistance in the circuit.

So. Did this breaker fail?!? Someone posted that it only has to work twice to pass a trip test.

That posses the question. Is this a 1 in a million shot, or 1 in a 100. Do I just hand it off to a Rep, where it may just end up in the garbage or send it to square D themselfs or to UL for that matter.

I feel very confident in my appilities and this looked like a direct short caused by the homeowner. With a breaker not turning off as soon as it should of. This circuit is under 80' long.

I'm just not so sure it was the breakers fault.

Were just about there boys ,. Thanks for all the input. Now what do I do with all this info and my bag of burned parts.BBQ hot gotta go grill [Linked Image]

Neil