ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#35960 03/25/04 02:46 PM
F
I'm in my 14th year working in the distributor end of the business.(12 years at one 2 at another) When I was let go the first time, I worked part time with my Dad doing residential work. (I LOVED IT!!) When I was rehired, I continued to work part time with my Dad with hopes of taking over. However, due to illness, he had to retire. I would love to start up my own business. Any advise?

#35961 03/25/04 03:13 PM
J
First, let me say sorry to hear about your Dad's health.

You should check with your local licensing board to see if you will be able to get the license if needed. Will your Dad hold the license for the new company? Where I am to take the test requires 7 years of verifiable employment in the trade with increasing levels of supervision.

You will need a good solid knowledge of the Code, startup capital, people skills and other things too numerous to list.

I don't want to discourage anyone from starting in the field, it is a good career with many different paths to follow. However wearing the many hats required by a small shop can quickly wear you down.

#35962 03/25/04 07:43 PM
A
Rockford Illinois any Moe with $25 can be an EC.
http://www.ci.rockford.il.us/Building/Building.htm#ELECTRICAL%20LICENSES
"ELECTRICAL LICENSES

Electrical contractors are not required to be licensed, however, electrical contractors are required to be registered with the City of Rockford. Registration is per calendar year which is renewable on Jan 1. To register a fee of $25.00 or proof of current registration or license with another Illinois municipality is required."

"BUILDING LICENSES

General contractors are not required to be licensed. "

It would still do you good to be licianced with a city that tests you so you can work outside of Rockford.

Are you talking about taking over your dads business or a new start-up. The first would be much easier. If you are talking about a new start-up pay attention to the local econimy. You said you were laid off from the supply house job I'm guessing because construction is slow. To start a new business you might be better off going a bit east tword Chicago where there is more $$$. Rockford seems like it is not doing well for business or emploiement.

You didn't say how skilled you are as an electrician. I don't know how big your dads company is. If your not up to skill and it's just you then it might be too much.

Maybe take a job as an electrician for a bit for your dads company or someone elce first. It also helps working for a number of EC so you can see what works well and what does not.

Did you talk to your dad about what is involved to own your own bisiness?

Sorry if I'm not more positive but slow weeks like this I pay my guys, bills, buy material, and have nothing left for the one that works the most.

Let me know if you have more questions about working in IL.

Tom

#35963 03/28/04 09:17 PM
M
this is a test to see if I can log on

#35964 03/28/04 09:21 PM
M
Sorry its been a while since I logged on here. I to am taking over the elctrical business from my mother and father at the end of this year. Basically there are alot of details to work out between my father and mother and I. Perhaps you could e-mail me and we could bounce some things off each other and I could also answer alot of your questions My e-mail is krgriggs@classicnet.net

Link Copied to Clipboard