ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z
zappy Offline OP
what is the most home runs you have encounterend in a residential home. i ran 26 last week not including the low volt tv and phone lines. keep in mind i'm still learning!!!!! that was the most for me in a 200 amp service so far. just curious, is there a code for that sevice? i know your limited by the amout of breakers in the panel, but idiots can easily get around that.

C
CRW Offline
There are not codes about the absolute number of circuits in a house, but you can't have more than 42 in any single panel. There is a code about the total load vs. the size of the service, the service conductor size and main breaker size. Seeing as you said you are "green", maybe you should learn some more basic codes from the NEC before doing more house wiring.

M
Doing a large house now with well over 100 homeruns.

2 x 200A 42 circuit panels
150A sub for AC units
100A sub for general circuits
100A sub for pool equipment
50A sub for communication/automation equipment.

And we are still running out of space...

A
26 HR Does sound like a lot for 1 residential panel if you are using EMT.

A 3000sf home with the normal extras (2 central A/Cs, jacuzzi, pumps, DW, disp, microwave) we might have 10 or 12 HRs most are 3/4".
Something like this:
Ground
A/Cs
Basement
Kitchen GFIs/appliances
Kitchen lights + other
Foyer + other
Living room + other
Luundry + other
Master BR + Master Bath
2nd Fl BR + Bath
Smoke Detectors (deicated 1/2")

Other might be 1st fl BR, Bath, Garage, Dining Room, Study, mud room, Eating Area, Pantry, Laundry room.

The HR are oversized to make pulling easier and for future. I could use less HR but it dose make it a bit easier when there are just a few networks. I like to write on the pipes where they go to make pulling and identifing circuits easier. It might make it easier on the next guy too.

Tom

S
SJT Offline
I've never done an entire home in EMT. Must look real nice when your done. Alot more planning must go with a job like that. Man, a whole house in EMT. I would imagine the price would be much more than just Romex.

R
The NM vs EMT cost was studied in an area near me a few years ago. It is an area where the local code requires EMT for single family dwellings. It was found that for the typical 2000 square foot tract house the EMT installation costs a about $500 less than the NM installation. Given the house cost of $140,000 to $160,000, you don't even notice the cost of the EMT.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
M
SJT,

Follow this link and use the arrows at the bottom to go through the photos like a slide show.
http://www.electricalmatters.com/gallery/members/EMT_Ruff_001

S
thanks for the slide show. very interesting. I've never seen a house done in emt.

You will still have to pry the romex from my cold dead fingers before I do a house in emt though.

Sandro.

C
I worked for a contractor that did a medium sized home with 60 circuits, but at least 20 of them were unnecessary IMO. (A 15 amp circuit with 4 recessed cans and 2 small sconces on it, 8 circuits in the kitchen for instance.)

Don, you said "a few years ago", so do you think with with the current copper and steel prices that comparison would be invalid? (not that it matters much since EMT is required [Linked Image] )

Peter

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 03-22-2004).]

Peter
J
No lie. i've done 20,000 sq. ft. houses with light touch systems with well over 300-400 home runs including the lighting circuits.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard