ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I've never seen a service set up like this one that came in for us to bid.
Is this common in some other part of the country?
Here in Southern CA, it certainly isn't how it's done.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have any of you seen something like this??...S

A
Unless I am missing something, I don't see anything unusual. Only thing I would do different is runn paralell 250's instead of 600's

[This message has been edited by ayrton (edited 03-19-2004).]

Y
They use that in our area . The 1 1/4 is for utility company metering wires. They put the ct's at the transfomer,you then run straight to the main service panel with your service conductors from the transformor. This is only used on larger services.

R
Hello Electure, I agree with the others, this a common installation (design) here also.

Roger

W
Where do you guys get that 4-1/2" conduit? Do your supply houses stock it or is it special order? [Linked Image]

R
Hmmmm, I didn't pay attention to that. [Linked Image]

Come to think of it, with a conflict between the notes and reality, it's actualy a more common design than I first thought. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 03-19-2004).]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Is your question about the metering set up? I see this on "canned" drawings where the E.E. is from a different state and the job is for a nation wide chain type store. So then the question becomes - How do I bid this and stay competitive? Include the C.T. can, C.T.'s labor etc. or not? I have bid this type of set up per drawings with an adder to meet local requirements.

M
Most often the POCO will furnish the 13 terminal Meterbase for the CT installation, you would just have to mount it on some 2" Rigid & Strut. As for the conduit, I would also parallel conductors & use a smaller, more common size of conduit. Watch the price of the copper though, it has been going up lately, & could change quickly.

E
The POCO will dictate where the metering enclosure is to be mounted. If you have never seen it like that before (me neither) then you need to check with the POCO as to where they accept the CT meter. Out here (New England) we have to purchase and install a separate CT/PT enclosure, usually as part of the main disconnect, then the meter can is remotely mounted outside the building.

4-1/2 inch conduit? I've never run across it before. Maybe it is metric, then rounded off?

Earl
I
The 4 1/2" conduit seems a little strange. [Linked Image]

As earlydean has said in our area the metering CTs would be inside, I tried to get the local POCO go with this setup before due to space limitations in the building, they said they do not want metering at the transformer in case a replacement is needed they won't have to get the metering guys involved with the swap out.

ayrton and Megawatt, this appears to me to be a 1,200 amp service, 3 sets of 600s, assuming copper.

Are you saying you would rather run 5 sets of 250s in place of 3 sets of 600s?

Why?, more time more material.

I would not try or want to use smaller cable 600 kcmil is great in 3 1/2" conduit.

My wild guess is that Note 4 should read.

"4) PROVIDE 3 SETS 4 #600KCMIL-3 1/2" C"

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard