ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#35190 03/06/04 12:05 PM
I
It will be tough for me to use this with MC. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#35191 03/06/04 01:46 PM
E
I can see it now, Mr./Ms. DIYer won't follow the instructions and burys it in the wall. Sometime down the road,a problem develops, and guess who starts scratching his/her head when the problem can't be traced?

Do you honestly think the DIYer is going tell an electrician about a buried J-Box? If you think that, I've got an ocean view cabin here in Colorado. [Linked Image]

#35192 03/06/04 03:18 PM
P
Finally, it seems in concept quite a bit like the European junction boxes with terminal strips built in. Cross ocean discussions of 'wire nuts' are often amusing
Funny you should mention that, as this device immediately struck me as appearing far more like something from this side of the Atlantic.

The typical British version is something like this:
[Linked Image from tlc-direct.co.uk]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-06-2004).]

#35193 03/06/04 03:27 PM
E
Do you honestly think the DIYer is going tell an electrician about a buried J-Box? If you think that, I've got an ocean view cabin here in Colorado.

I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to a troubleshoot and ask if any electrical work has been done recently. The answer is always no. Then an hour later, they'll tell you, "well last week we got rid of the outlet on that wall" or something to that effect. You go over to the area, cut it open much to there horor that they'll have to patch the wall again, and find a very poor flying splice with tape and no wire nuts. I have one homeowner that has done something like this 3 times and always denys having done anything until I get close to finding the problem. Why won't he learn?

#35194 03/07/04 01:22 PM
S
The Teminal Box is not intended to be sold to diy's ,If that were the case We would have went to Ace Hardware or Menards instead of reputable suppliers like Caniff.com or EasternStates Electric.com. We at Wire-easy.com would like to see professional trained electricains using the system.Thanks Chris Strobel

DonT wire nuts, wire-easy.com
#35195 03/07/04 07:20 PM
:
they dont really tighten their terminals with an accu driller, do they?
with or without set torque?

i've seen guys setting up temporary office containers at our company, they made up their container on-wall mini panels with an accu driller. No torque, blast it in until the bit drills out of the screw, next one. shocked

#35196 03/07/04 07:39 PM
I
My comment about MC was not really serious. [Linked Image]

As for NM cable I would give it a try, I am for anything that actual uses screws for connections instead of spring pressure. (Wagos and the like)

If a spring type connector (wago) is rated for 20 amps this certainly should handle it better.

As for torque specs any of us that work with wires all the time would quickly get the feel of these.

I am curious about what Ryan mentioned, six inches of free conductor at boxes, it has always been good to have slack to repair something that does go bad, and even if these are high quality at some point some will need a repair.

The DIY thing seems like a non issue to me, they bury entire panels along with 4" squares and flying splices, I do not see this item making it worse.

Just my opinion, not on the payroll.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#35197 03/07/04 07:58 PM
D
Chris (Strobes)-

If you work for the company, how about answering questions posted about UL listing and other configurations? What about application under the NEC?

(Or are you just watching our responses to make advertising/marketing adjustments?)

#35198 03/07/04 08:34 PM
S
Matt (the product creator) has been under the weather,but he plans to answer questions as soon as he is feeling better.There have been few more forums requesting more info to.
I do know Underwriters Lab hung a 60 lb weight on a nailed up terminal box with romex connected and it remained intact .The System will be listed in NEC but that will take time,I understand is not released very often.

Andi thanks for tha accu-driller tip

DonT wire nuts, wire-easy.com
#35199 03/07/04 09:14 PM
S
This does look like a convenient item for branching a branch circuit. I also agree that its distribution should be limited to folks in the trade for the reasons mentioned by others, even though I'm a DIY'er myself. It would be WAY too easy for DIY'ers to seriously abuse/misuse the application of it.

While mentioning the do-it-yourselfer and the sometimes cavalier attitudes they have toward electricity, perhaps our codes need an addendum such as:

"When the AHJ fails an inspection of an installation performed by non-licensed personnel (i.e., DIY'ers), the AHJ shall require the largest chair in the residence of said person(s) to be cord-and-plug connected." [Linked Image]

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard