ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
In Jersey, for PSE&G,..the POCO, MOST of all meter pans have a barrel lock on them and you need a utility person to come out and remove it for you....
AR

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
B
AR — You raise a good point. It’s likely that ‘high-security’ meter rings/seals/locks will become more commonplace in many parts of the country.

Bjarney,

As far as residential goes we've had locks in some areas for many years. (I heard it was random) Many are so rusted that they have to be cut off now. They don't seem to be replacing them or putting them on new installs as far as I can see.

Bill

Bill
O
Wow, you guys have bring up some good points about the barrell locks. They are more commonplace in urban areas, from what I have learned. Some utilities seal the barrell lock with a meter seal, while other companies don't. Double the hassle! I like what all you have said so far. Keep the replies comming!
~Nick Ogden

N. Ogden
O
Oh I forgot to add, I am also a meter seal collector. I collect meter seals, cut and new, etc. I only collect seals that are obtained legally(found on the ground, etc.). I do not collect seals that have been stolen or removed. I have more info on this. Send me an email at OgdenMan21186@yahoo.com
~Nick Ogden
"future electrician"

N. Ogden
P
Our meters here in the U.K. are hard-wired rather than the American plug-in style. A simple wire and crimped seal is used through the screw heads on the covers. Similar seals are used on the carriers for the main fuse(s) ahead of the meter.

The official line is that only power company employees may break a seal, and most of them seem to take it fairly seriously, so we generally have to call them if we need power disconnected for any reason.

There was one time however when I had to strip out all the panels and fittings in a place that was to be demolished. The timing meant the disconnection would have to be done on a specific day, and the PoCo couldn't manage it on the right date.

By some miracle, I actually spoke to the engineer would be coming out to remove the meter and lines instead of the usual office staff, and he quietly told me to just cut the seal on the fuse and pull it myself.

A victory for common sense over the bureaucratic regulation-ridden pen-pushers! [Linked Image]

T
Like most European countries (if not all) Austria has hard-wired meters.
AFAIK anyone can cut the seal, but only a licensed electrician can call the PoCo (there's a special pink form for that) to reseal the meter. However, since there's always a fuse readily accessible ahead of the meter, so the only reason to cut the seal is when moving the meter or replacing any wiring directly connected to the meter.
When we moved our meter we talked to the electrician before, cut the seal, did all the work ourselves and then he came, took a short look at what we'd done (didn't even take off the panel cover) and called the PoCo to reseal the meter. They did it when the meter reader came the next time. I was even told by some people they just claimed "the seal had been torn when they moved in" and got away with it.
Anyway, I don't think much theft is done here by tampering with the meter, since tapping the feeder wires at some unobtrusive point is so much easier and less obvious. E.g. in our case the feeder wires are in conduit in the thin brick wall between the apartments and the stairway. Nothing easier than to make a hole into the wall from inside. tap the wires while the main fuse is out and then replaster it. I know of some cases where it was done that way for >20 years and never discovered. For example my aunt owns a large old rental building, and when some tenants moved out she had the aparrtment fixed up. Upon doing this they discovered the tenants had ran their washing machine (roughly 2500W) bypassing the meter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard