ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Sandro Offline OP
Just a heads up. Like most people, I don't heed the warning to 'test on known live circuit first' or 'test leads first' when using my trusty yellow Ideal Vol-Con. THIS HAS ALL CHANGED. When doing a service call on a sign, I checked for live power (120V). Vol-Con gave the all clear, no power. I proceeded to disconnect the ballast and Zap..I got nailed. It turns out the Vol-Con lead had separated where the tester wire meets the probe and I had no idea.

I shudder to imagine what would have happened, if I proceeded to work on a "dead" 347/600V line.

Todays lesson, Don't be dumb. Test your meters before use! On the Vol-Con, just touching the two leads together gets the Continuity light going so you know the leads are good.

C
CRW Offline
Good message! Also, make sure your test leads are in good shape. If one gets cracked or skinned, don't just throw a little tape on it, get new ones. They have a specific voltage rating. If you use a really cheap tester, meter or leads, you could pay dearly.

R
Thanks guys, this is a very important topic and thread. As Sandro points out, when we take things for granted, we may not have a second chance to get it right.

Roger

N
Hello from South Dakota!!!

The right tool for the right job. The right meter for the application. Sometimes spending a little extra $$ can bring you home at the end of the night.

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
R
When testing for hot wires the OSHA required method is:
1) apply tester to a known live ciruit and verify that tester is working
2) apply tester to cirucit in question and verify that tester shows no voltage
3) apply tester to known live circuit to verify tester is still working properly.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Great thread, and once again, great information.

Thanks

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
P
I certainly like to check the meter on a known energized circuit first, although I hace to admit to not rechecking after testing the dead circuit.

I'm reminded of an article many years ago about the inspectors that used to walk every mile of track on the London Underground (subway) system every night. Apparently they would always climb down carefully onto the track and connect a box containing 12 bulbs onto the conductor rails so they could see when the control center switched off the power for the night.

Asked why so many bulbs, one said "With one you could have a dud bulb. With 12 you have a better chance."

"But what if there are 12 dud bulbs?"

The reply sticks in my mind:

"Mister, if you're that unlucky, you're not going to be living much longer anyway!"

[Linked Image]

R
i have been using the ideal volcon for 20 years. the only problem i ever had was that when you first buy it and plug in the leads YOU MUST PUSH THE LEADS IN ALL THE WAY .at lunch the other day i saw a brand new volcon and sure enough the leads were not pushed in all the way. hope this helps

Link Copied to Clipboard