ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 130 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Let's beat this dead horse some more. I've got a GFI recp here that reads "test" & "reset" only with the ground down. I've got a surge suppression recp that has the writing so that it reads only with the ground up. If I install these with these operating instructions inverted, have I violated NEC section 110-3(b)???
PS I've also go some rt angle cordsets that are designed w/ the ground prong opposite the cord entry.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 04-27-2001).]

R
electure,
That is not a violation of 110-3(b). That section only requires complinace with instructions that are part of the listing and labeling, it does not require compliance with any other instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
How does one know the difference?

I thought that was a very good point myself... I 've noticed the same deal on leviton and eagle brands...

To continue striking the deceased equestrian...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
You need to carry around copies of all of the NRTLs listing books.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
While your picking up those books, pick up a set of overload springs for your truck...you'll be needing them

I still believe that they should be UP when using metal covers!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-27-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
E
I have worked on hospital jobs (horizontal receptacles - metal plates) where the specs required the neutral terminal to be up.

Ed

B
In Joe T's 01-17-2001 01:09 AM sooted-metal-plate image—that may have had nothing to do with the ground-pin position. It may have been an older cord cap with a simple push-on/often-loose/sometimes-missing fishpaper insulator over the live terminals. One or more of the cord’s ungrounded-conductor strands {supposedly under a binder-head screw} may have been frayed with a single loose copper strand waiting for the next metal-plate contact. That was once a very common “flash” problem before the NEC deadfront cord-cap mandate.

I STILL agree w/Joe that the grds ought to be up, metal plates or not. (BTW, he's got some pretty good pics of "blasted stainless plates")So do I. not posted.
It's kinda funny that all the hospitals require grd up. You might want to tell me why!
I'm just an old dummy,but I can still play.

A Southern CA Earthquake electrician
S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-28-2002).]

[Linked Image]

FACT:

The lost 6/32 plate screw was the reason for the metal plate falling down and coming into contact with the blades. Your reminder of missing discs on a cord cap is well taken, but was not the reason for this situation.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-03-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard