ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Sparky,
I didn't say that I installed the knob and tube, only that my journeyman did. [Linked Image] The change over to 3 wire was mostly complete by the time I started in the trade. I don't think there would have been much debate beacuse of the fact that all of the installers at that time would have been trained to put the hot on the right.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
E
Especially now, I'm reccomending up . I had the luxury of watching fireworks in my own livingroom . I was watching tv one night when a picture I had hung decided to let loose and slide down the wall . Yup , was hung with metal wire and right above a receptacle which was hiding behind my very soft and flammable sofa ,where my lamp was plugged in . When the picture fell it just knocked the plug out enough to expose both prongs and yet still remain energized .The wire from the picture ended up across these live prongs throwing sparks everywhere until it melted away . Choice is yours though . Me , I kinda like my new home just the way it is . [Linked Image]

Had a walk-through safety inspection after an FHA inspector had failed a few things... one on his list was a kitchen receptacle that was ground-up and he didn't like it that way... They didn't notice that it wasn't a GFCI... I ended up looking like the bad guy and haven't heard anything since...

My lesson? As far as grounds up or down... do what the customer wants and if anything happens, the code backs you up. I'd rather get the job than argue with a customer with only opinion to back me up on these matters...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
sparky Offline OP
Straight talk 66'....i've toddeled behind those FHA ( fulla hot air ) guys too.

And if they want to buy it, i'll sell it.. [Linked Image]

E
Originally posted by sparky66wv:
My old boss liked 'em up. His argument was that if something metal were to strike the plug, dislodging it from the receptacle, the metal would be more likely to touch the ground prong rather than the hot, say a cat knocks a lamp over or something.

In residential, I put them in "ground down" unless the customer wants them up, simply because I've run into problems with things like night-lights, CO2 detectors (plug-in type) and appliance cords (90 degree angle type)that have to be plugged in upside down if the grounds are up.

And, most home-owners like them to look like a face... [Linked Image]

In commercial applications, I put the grounds up unless otherwise suggested.

Totally agree with you. Just want to add that with 90 degree plugs, they are also more likely to pull out when connected ground up.
Wm. Grenier

The local inspector gives this reason for grounds down...

"...so they'll look like a face..."

I'm not kidding... he was sort of sheepish when he said it too. This was well after my first post above...

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Originally posted by exxon:
Especially now, I'm recommending up...a picture I had hung decided to let loose and slide down the wall ...was hung...above a receptacle which was hiding behind my...sofa, where my lamp was plugged in. ...knocked the plug out enough to expose both prongs and yet still remain energized. The wire from the picture ended up across these live prongs throwing sparks everywhere until it melted away...

My understanding is that lamp cords are almost always two-wire two prong non-grounding. With the absence of the u-ground, how would ground-up be advantageous in this circumstance?

I also feel that shorting across the neutral isn't much different that shorting across the equipment ground...How would this be safer with grounds up?

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
'66,

The explanation I've heard is that with the ground prong up there is more chance that something falling on it would be safely deflected (or at least it would have a 50/50
chance of not contacting the ungrounded prong.

I would agree with this in principle, but many plugs are made to plug in with the groung down, and it does look more "normal" that way. I just got back from Kennedy Space Center and all t6he ones I saw "looked like a face".

Bill

Bill
S
If you step on a cord with a ground prong, ground down will most likely break the ground contact last. I like down, and to the right for horizontal.

Steve,

I believe that the Plugs and Receptacles are made that way purposely so that the Ground makes first contact on the way in and last on the way out. It looks to be about 1/8th of an inch longer.

I agree with your preference for the ground on the bottom (cosmetically) but not to the right with Horizontal because that would put the Hot prong on top. I would prefer it the other way.
[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard