ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 475 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34859 02/26/04 12:50 AM
S
I have a question for those of you who run big work. On jobs I have been on, there has been books entitled (Requests for information)used by forman. Has anyone made such requests and if so , what for? How does this system work?

#34860 02/26/04 08:38 AM
G
An RFI is a direct line to the designer, construction management, AHJ, and owner as to any questions/concerns you have about very particular aspects of the project. It is THE best way to protect yourself, and accomplish the task at hand.

If the plans call for a disconnect that you can clearly see is going to be covered by ductwork, you can ask for clarification. If they tell you to mount it as shown, then they will pay you to move it later... see how it works?

If you see a discrepancy, it's a whole lot better to clear it up before it becomes an issue, can result in an extra that is documented. Of course, it can also result in a credit, but at least you would not have to do something twice, spending your man hours a lot more wisely.

It's a good system where properly administered. I've unfortunately also seen it not done well where some arrogant designer took it as an affront that some lowly tradesman would DARE question him.

The larger engineering firms most certainly do not play it that way and really appreciate the input very much. How you phrase your questions has a lot to do with it, so kinda be careful and all the info passed along after that will be taken as valuable.

#34861 02/26/04 08:54 AM
R
Ron Offline
Again, alot has to do with the way the question is phrased. If it is truly a real question, and not being lazy to find in in the spec book yourself, it is very useful.
I like it when the question has a suggestion by the tradesman associated with it and is not accusatory.
ie, After field coordination, the disconnect will be covered by duct. There is space available adjacent to the column.
You get the idea, it gets what you want and doesn't say the designer is an idiot (because we didn't coordinate it during design).

Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard