ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34808 02/24/04 05:51 AM
C
I got an LED traffic signal from Ebay laugh 12" Lenses three new LED lenses $145 free shipping was it worth it? I just have a wiring ? since I don't like the way it came wired (2 prong plug it's metal should be grounded right?). On the LED signals which is the hot and which is the neutral?
The red has a Red and a white wire
The Yellow Has Yellow and a White Wire
The Green has a brown and a white wire
I think the colored wire is the hot but just want to make sure. Thanks

Oh pics

[Linked Image from titansfan098.com]

[Linked Image from titansfan098.com]

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
#34809 02/24/04 07:07 AM
P
I assume that these LED signal heads have a transformer fitted to each lamp assembly to enable it to be used as a "drop-in" replacement for a conventional 120V filament lamp.

If that's the case it sounds logical that the white on each would be the common neutral, although not being involved with traffic signals (and certainly not U.S. types [Linked Image]) I wouldn't be sure.

Maybe the guy at www.signalfan.com could provide some information.

#34810 02/24/04 08:44 AM
The whites will be your neutral wires.
You could have some fun with switches on this one.

I think that these lamps are series-parallel wired. I've seen a couple with "sections" that are burnt out. A nice thing about these is that when only a section burns out, they can be replaced before the whole lamp goes, leaving you without a traffic signal.

#34811 02/24/04 03:27 PM
G
ah, a hacksaw a ladder and a little bit of nerve and you can be an entrpeneur on ebay

#34812 02/24/04 08:25 PM
T
While on the topic of LED traffic signals, check this one out:
http://lanecontrols.com/trilights.cfm

3 colors in one unit...

#34813 02/24/04 09:37 PM
Broom Pusher and
As mentioned, connect the White wires to the system's Grounded Conductor (AKA "Noodle" or "Neutral").
This will reduce the hazard of being bit from a live screwshell.

Curious to the actual output color of the center "amber" dot ("yellow light") with the LED array. Is it:
"Orange",
"Gray-Orange",
"Gray-Yellow",
or
"Yellow".

Reason being is the first generation of amber LEDs in my area were very much orange. Newer ones were flat orange (gray-orange), then flat yellow (gray-yellow kind of like an HPS lamp).
Saw a signal head today, with very yellow output from an LED array. These were also 12"

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#34814 02/24/04 09:51 PM
C
They are just yellow with a slight hint of orange and there is no screw shell at all no socket either just the LED Lenses. although I have seen some that just screwed in and they did not have to remove/rewire the light/socket

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
#34815 02/24/04 10:45 PM
H
I assume, seeing your handle, that you may want to computer control these through a logic circuit at some point. If that be the case, you may want to consider programming in some international as well as domestic aspects.

In the UK, Iceland and Argentina (there may be more) the sequence goes:
R, R+Y*,G,Y*,R. (* a few seconds at most). Legally you can only proceed on green – the R+Y is only a warning. I remember in grade 12 (long time ago!) , with modular logic units (AND, OR, NOT gates, etc) , making an assembly that generated those aspects – is was quite fun.

Then there is Vancouver BC with its flashing greens – any local care to explain that aspect. There may be more out there … [Linked Image]

#34816 02/25/04 04:05 AM
Hi Hutch

The flashing green is for a pedestrian controlled crosswalk.Last week we had two male teenagers killed at one of these crosswalks. the 84 year old gentleman did not see that the light was red and that the crosswalk was occupied. http://www.kamloopscity.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=561

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 02-25-2004).]

#34817 02/25/04 08:37 AM
P
the UK, Iceland and Argentina (there may be more) the sequence goes:
R, R+Y*,G,Y*,R. (* a few seconds at most). Legally you can only proceed on green – the R+Y is only a warning.

The yellow phase when going from green to red varies a little in its timing, but in my experience it's generally shorter in the U.K. than on most American signals. Our peculiar R+Y phase seems to be fairly constant -- I'd estimate about 2 secs.

We also have lights which are not at an intersection, but instead are located in the middle of a road to allow pedestrians to cross. The sequence on those is different: G, Y, R, Flashing-Y, G. The flashing-yellow phase is longer than the normal R+Y phase, and corresponds with the time when the pedestrian light is flashing before going back to red.

The pedestrian light signs and sequences are different as well, but I'd better not get into that!

I remember in grade 12 (long time ago!) , with modular logic units (AND, OR, NOT gates, etc) , making an assembly that generated those aspects – is was quite fun.
I remember just such a project from "Radio & Electronics Constructor" magazine in about the mid-1970s. There were similar projects for railroad signals. That was all at the time when TTL and CMOS logic chips were becoming much more mainstream.

There aren't too many traffic lights around this rural area, but I've noticed a few LED types appearing in the city, about 20 miles away. They really grab your attention for the smart way they "snap" from one aspect to another.

LED lights seem quite popular in France for the repeaters -- The small set of lights that they use mounted low down on the pole so that driver at the front of the line can see more easily.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-25-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard