ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34648 02/18/04 11:18 AM
G
Just wanted to know who has travelled to work,and places they have enjoyed and maybe places they have not,as well as any advice you have picked up through experience

#34649 02/18/04 10:51 PM
J
Well I do a lot of work in NYC, which is probably on my places least likely to ever visit. I did like working in South Carolina, I think work was trying to get my head to explode, I worked one week in NYC with a bunch of local 3 boys, then to SC, then back to NYC, then back to SC. I never realized what a difference there is in the general pace of life once you get out of the New York metro area. I guess they both have their ups and downs, I don't know of anywhere else you can go to a Chinese buffet at 3 am except the city.

#34650 02/19/04 09:29 PM
My funnest time was working in amusement parks in the late '70s.
I got to spend a whole summer doing underwater lighting and speakers. Lotsa' swimming, diving w/ compressed air.
We had elephants, giraffes, tigers, black panthers, bears
(BTW, the elephant can pull wire better than we could with 2 3/4 ton trucks and a tractor)
After that, got to work @ Knott's Berry Farm, rewiring some rides, and putting in special effects. These effects were the original "Tivoli tubing" lighting things that now have become "rope lights". We put 'em on roller coasters, and they'd short out because of the vibration.
I'd better shut up, 'cause I'll rave forever...It was so much fun... [Linked Image]S

#34651 02/19/04 09:38 PM
I
I'd better shut up, 'cause I'll rave forever...It was so much fun... S

I spent 5 years in an amusement park as electrician / mechanic / inspector.

I loved it, many times in the mornings I would sit on a high ride drinking my coffee watching the boats on the bay with the sun coming up.

I would think to myself how lucky I was to get paid for this.

We had a lot of concerts and that was great for me, I saw a ton of bands that I liked. [Linked Image]

How many jobs do you get to meet one of "The Monkees" [Linked Image] or bring "Weird Al" around to rides.

We had "real" acts too. [Linked Image]

When I was still an apprentice I took a job at an ice rink as custodian / Zamboni driver.

That was kind of fun too.

I Got a job offer to work for Tivili after doing some installs here in Boston, but I would have had to move to CA (would miss family) and do a lot flying. (I do not like to fly)

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-19-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#34652 02/19/04 10:53 PM
Nothing to say.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-20-2004).]

#34653 02/20/04 02:52 AM
GETELECTRIC,
For those of you that don't know,
When I first moved to Ashburton here, finding an Apprenticeship, even as a Clown, was hard to find!.
I put my name down as a Trainee Electrician at the local PoCo and waited.
In the meantime I had to live on something so I got a job as a Slaughterman at the local Abbatoirs (is there an equivalent term in the US?), lasted 1 and a half years there (Vegetarians skip this bit) sticking Cattle, Sheep and Pigs.
Glad my call came up though, I hated that place!. [Linked Image]

#34654 02/20/04 07:04 AM
P
I did like working in South Carolina, I think work was trying to get my head to explode, I worked one week in NYC with a bunch of local 3 boys, then to SC, then back to NYC, then back to SC. I never realized what a difference there is in the general pace of life
I never worked in SC, but I traveled all around that area back in '93, and SC certainly has some lovely small towns and a relaxed atmosphere.

Working in Nebraska was good, with lots of open spaces and some interesting historical places to visit in between (I was near to where the old Oregon trail passed through), but getting up and heading out on a sub-zero winter morning took some doing!

Over here in England, I've reached the point where I don't want to work anywhere that involves a big town/city. All of them are just getting far too crowded and fast-paced for my liking. Out here in the countryside it's much more easy-going, and suits me much better.

I got a job as a Slaughterman at the local Abbatoirs (is there an equivalent term in the US?), lasted 1 and a half years there
Abattoir = slaughterhouse.

I'm not a vegetarian, but there's no way I could do a job like that. I don't think I could bring myself to pull the trigger.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-20-2004).]

#34655 02/20/04 12:12 PM
C
Well GETELECTRIC, we have worked in (extended periods, from 1 to lot's of months)about 20 differnt cities or towns in the US, and atleast once in most provinces of Canada.
But the the most enjoyable was the the work we did in Mexico. Mexico City was probably the most interesting, "IT'S HUGE".

Anyhow, after spending almost 3 years in Mexico City on several projects, I found the woman of my dreams.

Travel that we have, some interesting and enjoyable some not.

Several come to mind:
We were working in a small town just outside Tulsa, OK and off goes this "LOUD" horn in the plant, everybody headed into the Locker room/ washroom that had a sign "Tornado Shelter". Yep, there was a Tornado enroute. Luckily no touch down on us. It was a new feeling that was not enjoyed.

The other was in Saltillo, MX, at 6:00 am (when we were heading to plant) it was usually 20C(68F) and by noon it was 40C(104F) outside temp. all i can tell you is with all the equipment running add another 10 Deg to that.

#34656 02/20/04 02:20 PM
G
Hi CDN ELECTRICIAN
Did you find it hard to get work permits in the states or was it for cash?
p.s. I presently work out of toronto but am in need of a change.

#34657 02/20/04 09:40 PM
... I was a tractor-trailer driver for 10 yrs. before making a career change,...saw alot of the country tho',I brought my wife along many times, and even left the country for 6hrs..I had a lay-over in Buffalo,NY, and we took the truck into Ontario for some sight-seeing...almost had a coronary tho',when customs asked to see my manifest,..They checked my load, and let me proceed,..I thought for sure I was gonna be fired...I told them me and the Mrs. just wanted to see the sights...
I still miss truckin' tho'...I drove a Kenworth cab-over, with a 42" sleeper...nice...
AR

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard