ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Saw an article a little while ago that basically said that removing old plenum rated communications cables from buildings (as the code requires) is going to require a hazmat company because of the lead dust. Why only plenum I don't know.

Yes,
I would agree with the idea that Lead is used in the manufacture, at least it was up until 1998 here.
There was a case of an Electrician over here that died from Lead-poisoning, in 1997.
The said Electrician had recently given up smoking and had taken to chewing on off-cuts of TPS insulation, to relieve his cravings, to "have something between his lips".
As to the idea that Wool gives off cyanide fumes when burnt, personally having been through the odd Wool Scour Fire, I can say that this is patently untrue.
Even though the smoke from this semi-wet wool is usually pretty acrid and nasty, we did a Chemical test on the smoke and found no trace of any cyano-particulates.

BTW,
As far as I am concerned, this is no "Urban Legend" or whatever.
I lost my co-worker in 1997 because of this,
take from this what you like. [Linked Image]

C
I just got some test clips for my fluke and it had they same warning. I don't think all cables have lead in them do they? Just the ones that feel/smeal weird like my test clips

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard