ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34320 02/08/04 03:53 PM
G
Hello

I'm new here and have a question on "Emergency / Exit fixtures". Our one story cement block building in Philadelphia Pa has exit signs in each office/room (no windows in offices or meeting rooms). The Exit fixtures are all on one breaker (great for annual battery testing).

After a recent power outage we decided to add emergency lighting in each room. Two ECs
have suggested we replace the "Exit fixtures" with "Exit / Emergency combo fixtures".

One EC said just replace the "Exit fixtures" with "Exit / Emergency combo fixtures", the other EC said they should be wired to the lighting circuit of each room (in case the breaker for that room trips). They both said their proposal was code compliant.

Which one is code compliant?

Thanks for the help:
George

[This message has been edited by gzgerson (edited 02-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by gzgerson (edited 02-08-2004).]

L
LK Offline
George,
Good question, You should put them on the lighting circuit for the area served, ahead of any switches, However there is an exception and I do not have the code book here, so I can't comment, there are others on line, that I am sure will be able to help.

R
There are many ways to gain compliance, but the most common way is to install the E-circuits with the general purpose lighting. A dedicated circuit is permitted, but it must be on a generator or other type of uninteruptalbe supply. Refer to 701.11, and you will see that the same circuit is probably the cheapest/easiest way.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
I
They are both right, kind of, in an open area with 3 or more lighting circuits the emergency battery units may be on a dedicated circuit.

Otherwise the EBUs must be on the lighting circuit feeding the area the EBUs are located in.

Part of 700.12(E) and it's exception.
700.12(E)........The branch circuit feeding the unit equipment shall be the same branch circuit as that serving the normal lighting in the area and connected ahead of any local switches. The branch circuit that feeds unit equipment shall be clearly identified at the distribution panel. Emergency luminaires (illumination fixtures) that obtain power from a unit equipment and are not part of the unit equipment shall be wired to the unit equipment as required by 700.9 and by one of the wiring methods of Chapter 3.

Exception: In a separate and uninterrupted area supplied by a minimum of three normal lighting circuits, a separate branch circuit for unit equipment shall be permitted if it originates from the same panelboard as that of the normal lighting circuits and is provided with a lock-on feature.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-08-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
Exception: In a separate and uninterrupted area supplied by a minimum of three normal lighting circuits, a separate branch circuit for unit equipment shall be permitted if it originates from the same panelboard as that of the normal lighting circuits and is provided with a lock-on feature .

ok what is it a standby systems or a emergency systems
the same thing is in 701.11 (f)

G
Thanks for all your input. I will check the # of lighting circuits for each area and have the fixtures wired accordingly.

regards:
George

Link Copied to Clipboard