ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 383 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#34283 02/15/04 10:08 PM
W
Be aware that there are different kinds of patents. What most people think of when say the invention of the light bulb, or the transistor are known as "Utility" patents. There are also "Design" patents, which are about the same as that of a company logo (shape of the Coke bottle). Easy to get, but not worth anything. What you want is the utility patent, hard to get though. And all a patent really does is allow you to sue infringers and get royalty payments.

I have a bunch of patents, but the rights and any royalties belong to the companies I worked for (inventing them was part of my job at those companies). I do get bragging rights though [Linked Image]

#34284 02/15/04 10:35 PM
L
LK Offline
master66,
My first device was a holding and insertion tool for a solid state comp. By employment agreement the company held all rights. My total reward was $150.00 value to company aprox. $35,000 They had all the money and all the Legal staff.
The second device was a cutting tool, My out of pocket expense was aprox. $3,000 After one year, I received a certified letter stating I had to show the ability to manufacture and market the product or loose the rights. I tried to raise money for the project and failed to get any investors.
The third was an opening device, which costs $1,200 out of pocket expense, and after completed, Had no money left to market. Since that time five other companies are making the product, because they had the ability to produce and market.
The fourth was a core hole fire seal device, again pre employment contract, however this company treated me very well.
Stay with it, inventors are not instant winners.

#34285 02/15/04 10:55 PM
L
LK Offline
wa2ise,
I guess you know, all the things that can happen while the design is in process, we had an existing product which we improved, so we started the search, well it returned over 200 other like designs. When you think you found that something great, your not alone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard