ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
I should be glad if we had 17%. We have a income tax at 32% and VAT at 25. We pay 10 Swedish Crows (One dollar) for a quart of gas.

Fuseman
Kent,

Our Income tax is somewhat similar (rates vary according to income and deductions) but Sales tax in NY is 8.5% and some States have none at all.

Bill

Bill
P
Frank, What part of Canada are you from? I am from Alberta and the only places GFI's are used is 1.Bathroom receptacles and 2.Outside receptacles,except on detatched outbuildings.
Split receptacles are used on kitchen counter tops.

G
As a supporter of socialized medicine, I would love to pay an additional 9.25% sales tax and not have to pay medical insurance premiums to a medical system that is set up for the benefit of insurance companies, lawyers, pharmecutical companies, private hospitals and doctors. In this country, if you are not fortunate enough to have access to a good insurance policy by virtue of a company group plan or being independently wealthy, your inalienable right to the pursuit of happiness is extremely hampered if your genes, accidents, or the pollution created by our general lifestyle and big business's quest for bigger profits, create health problems for you.

Problem is, with the government leaders and government employees we currently accept, there is no way we will ever get a good return on anything we pay for in taxes.

American are dying at younger ages and in greater numbers per capita than people in Holland and England. I really am considering moving to Holland. There the cities are designed for people and not cars. They look at the idea of transportation from the perspective of moving people easily or allowing people to move easily, not focusing on the automobile drivers as the group to appease. If it was easier to travel in this country by train and bus, the average person could get around at a good bit less cost than having to maintain a car. Instead of spending billions of dollars to widen crowded roads, put that money in mass transit so people could get out of the traffic jams and ride in unstressful comfort. The crowding of the roads would then take care of itself. Also if the price of gas were allowed to get to the levels in Europe, the demand for good mass transit would create systems in most metropolitan and populous rural areas as good as in Washington DC and polution in major metropolitan areas would not be as big a problem.

Well, that is my soapbox tirade for the day. Good health to all.

G
Oh, one more thing. The national average wage for an electrician in Holland is $30 US per hour. One guy I talked to over there was making $40 as an electrician and he thought that was the average.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
You didn't mention that he get 40 days of paid vacation per annum also.

P
Hmm, my remark about 17.5% sales tax very nearly has started another revolution!

Kent, I knew your VAT was up around 20 to 25%. I think it's called MOM in Sweden - Is that right?

Even over in Ireland the standard rate is 20%, but at least they have a reduced 12.5% rate which applies to a lot of big things, like house repairs. They also have quite a few other tax breaks, and even though their gasoline is still expensive by American standards, it's considerably cheaper than here. The only VAT/sales tax concession we have is domestic fuel (electricity included) which is only taxed at 5% at the moment.

The Scandinavian countries used to be much more expensive than England for gas, but we've caught up with them. Converted to American, regular unleaded works out about $4.50 per gallon at the moment. During the fuel crisis earlier in the year it hit $5 - Yep, FIVE DOLLARS A GALLON.

By the way, although our National Health Service is "free" in as much as you won't be sent a bill, it still has to be paid for, and on top of income tax there's a "National Insurance" contribution for the NHS and other social security benefits.

And while $30 an hour sounds great, you have to figure in the taxes & your living expenses, which I understand are very high in Holland.

Most everyday items here in England, from food, to clothes, to tools, (not to mention houses) are more expensive than in America.
I know public transport is good in many European countries (it certainly is in France), but it's become a joke in the U.K. Expensive,unreiable, and in most rural areas just plain non-existent.

Oh well.. Aplogies for my off-topic rambling.

S
Well that sounds like it evens out a bit.
[Linked Image]

Paul,

All interesting stuff, no apologies necessary. No demerits issued here for the occassional ramble [Linked Image]
It makes for a better understanding of each other and the issues involved.

Bill

Bill
K
Pauluk

Yes,it's called moms. Have you ever visited Sweden?

Fuseman
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard