ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#3411 08/18/01 05:13 AM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Hi again!!

Here's a real silly one [Linked Image]

I jumped on the drumkit this afternoon for some much needed practice and de-stress time. While warming up, popped in an old VCR tape of misc. shows - one being "The Munsters".
That score is a blast to jam to!!! The one from the later seasons [where Herman walks through the door, Grampa walks out with the Shovel, and Eddie has that big 'ol baseball bat] has a great structure, compared to the older one.
In the words of typical bands out here: "Tight Breaks, Man!!!" [Linked Image]

I'm sure that bands have covered that score already, I can't wait to jam that one with others!! Been Eons since Guitar[s] and Bass have been played by humans in front of my Kit [Linked Image] - kind of doing a litle MIDI attempts when possible... it breaks up the Radio/CD/Tapes boredom.

BTW, any Judas Priest persons out there??? A Friend brought by "Unleashed In The East" on Vinyl. It's got Autographs on the Record Sleeve from Rob Halford, KK Downing, Glenn Tipton and Ian Hill. The Drummer must have been a sit-in for Les Binks, because his Signature looks more like it says "Dave Foller". Gonna clean it up, throw it on the turntable and drift back to 1979!!!

Any insight on this???

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#3412 08/18/01 05:25 PM
R
I slap the skins myself, when time permits. I prefer Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Chicago, and some older jazz.
In the early 80's I saw the Munsters theme covered a few times at a local club.

#3413 08/19/01 09:30 AM
Yukon, my guitarist in Fat Headed Monster, has played a heavy-metal version of the Munster's Theme (in a band called Zextrobe, years ago...)... Very Cool!

You know, I haven't listened to much Judas Priest, can't really remember what they sounded like... guess I need to brush up on some listening!

AC/DC should be "our" band here for obvious reasons (Bon Scott days...)!

Maybe Tesla (the band) too!?!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-19-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#3414 08/19/01 03:36 PM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
I was amazed to find out that the band Tesla was actually named from Nikola Tesla, and that they knew who he was and what he did!!!
They have a little story on the covers for "The Great Radio Contravercy" album.
Just figured they had heard the name/term in passing, possibly by someone studying EE.
After reading the story, I guess they are part of the "Tesla Cult". They mentioned more of the eccentric stuff than the useful stuff that interests me [protuding tooth, pocket protector nerd I'yam I'yam!!! Just call me " 'Ol Dorito Breath"]

Priest did the hard rock songs that had the solid 4/4 beats [living after midnight is one real popular song that is endless 4/4 @ 120 tempo].

They also covered that Peter green song "The Green Manalishi"

So I gather that I'm not alone in thinking the Munster's score is not your average everyday polka??!!

Redsy, so you play the drums too?! Good! There's like 6 Guitar players here in this forum, now 2 drummers!
There's a Jazz Radio station out here in So Cal [88.1 FM] and they play some of that older Jazz that's practically impossible for me to fall into the groove with! Everyone is off doing something kind of different! It's really cool, but heck if I can stay in time for more than 2 measures! [Linked Image]

I prefer more melodic structured music, along with progressive stuff. The thing about Metal [at least some of the older stuff] that I like is the tightness and wide ranges played at fast tempos [like classical music played on Guitars at 200 tempo!]. When done right, the melodic stuff is great.

AC/DC with Bon Scott was great! Hardly hear anything on the radio from that era, but when there is one, everyone kind of quiets down during the song [Linked Image]

Priest had some rather cool "acid rock" songs, I still like "The Ripper" and "Victim Of Changes"

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
#3415 08/19/01 07:39 PM
R
That's why I like to play jazz. I just join along and play what I feel. Actually, lots of that stuff is improvised anyway, and it is often difficult to hear the drums except for accents & fills. What's your set-up?

#3416 08/19/01 08:11 PM
I was very into jazz when younger...

Maynard Ferguson, Trane, Bird, Chase, Dizzy, Miles, Stan Getz, Stan Kenton, Spiro Gyra, Weather Report, Buddy Rich, David Sanborn, etc. etc. the list goes on...

I find myself always "coming home" to the blues, however...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#3417 08/19/01 08:52 PM
S
all the blues ya can use on the net,
not the mainstream stuff,
people who could give a ---- for a $$,
just the blues [Linked Image]

gotta get a CD burner..

Do U guys crank it up on thr job ? I do [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 08-19-2001).]

#3418 08/20/01 12:17 AM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Redsy,

My kit is a 13 piece ROC, but I only use 7 pieces now [1 kick drum, 3 ride toms, 1 floor tom, 1 8" tom for accents, and the snare drum]. Use to have the whole kit setup, but it requires too much real estate!
Have 5 cymbals [only using 3 now], 20" ride [just a common Zildjian one] and 14" Zildjian Platinum Hihats [they have a great sound].

Bought the full kit [less all the cymbals] for $650 back in July, 1988, from a close friend. He paid $1,750 for the kit, which was new.
In 1990, I upgraded all the hardware to Pearl type with the 3 screws and speed lock keyways, because the original ROC hardware really sucked [always breaking!]. The mount adjustments were done with the tension ball deals [typical to some Tama hardware, but 1/4 as sturdy]. They were always stripping out! I have no trouble with the Pearl hardware - even with the many teardowns, moves and setups I have done to the kit.

When I did the hardware upgrade, I also refaced the bearing edges [head contact spots] and sealed some bad spots on a few toms.

I'll tell ya, that made them sound great!!! Got many compliments on the sound!!! Remarkable for a semi cheap kit.

The ROC kits were advertised in Modern Drummer from 1987 to around 1993 [last time I read the magazine [Linked Image]], so if you read that mag, you probably saw the ad.

When I was a drum tech, I worked with Rodgers, Pearl and Tama kits. Only sat on 1 old ludwig kit at some guys house.

I use 2A and 2B sticks, mostly 2B. 5A/B are too light for me to get a good feel.

Need to hit Guitar Center for new heads soon. These heads are 7 years old and are nearly impossible to get any crisp sounding tones - either muddy flat [fall back to flat after 3-4 days], or ringee bright sharp. Very hard to get right in tune.

This is cool talking drum stuff! Been a long time for me!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
#3419 08/20/01 07:04 AM
R
I have a Remo 5pc. set.
I had an old ('72) Ludwig standard set, but I donated it to a local school when I moved.
I use an assortment of Zildjian & Paiste cymbals, swapping them as the mood suits me.
I do have my eye on a new Ludwig set, but until my kids are grown, I can dream!

#3420 08/20/01 07:55 AM
Haven't picked up a guitar in 10 yrs, or owned one for 20. I played in a band when I was younger, then got married and poof, it was all over.(should have kept the guitar and sold the wife, the love affair would have lasted longer).
Had a Strat, and a Les Paul that was made the same month I was born (9/52).
And it's Blues, Blues, and more Blues

Link Copied to Clipboard