ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34073 01/31/04 09:57 PM
M
I'm considering taking the Electrical Plan Review Exam. I know that some of you have this certification.

Any comments...suggestions?
How hard of a test is it?
What is the test like?

R
IAEI or ICC?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
G
Master66,
I'd like ta hep ya, but boy it's been a long time. I did not know the study guides were available when I took it, but they are available from the IAEI now.

If you've passed the Electrical General, you've already passed the toughest test, but using the study guide would be quite beneficial I'm sure.

I think it's different now, but when I took mine you had to take them in sequence, and they would only let you take 2 per session, so it was a few years in between tests anyway.

I took 'em just because, who the heck knew I'd ever actually use them???????

Good luck.

M
Thanks George,

I too am thinking of taking it just to see if I can pass. I did the same with the other two. I didn't expect to pass the first time. I just wanted to see what it was like so I could be ready for the next try.

I printed out some info that was available from Experior. The sample questions don't look to bad. I do need to do some studying.

Does anyone else here have the plan review certification?

Master66:
I took all three tests (ICS,HHS,Plan Review) in one shot. Back in '92. Wasn't to bad.

Plan Review probably was the lesser of the evils, but heck it's been 12 years, can't really say much on the details,

John

John
R
[Linked Image]

This test was much harder than the inspector tests. Some of the things that frustrated me were terms like "service feeder". What exactly is a service feeder? It sure isn't in the NEC!!!

The test included some fault current calculations, a lot of obscure stuff out of 517 and 500, alot out of 220 and 230, and a lot of math.

Good luck, and let us know how you do! [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
M
Ryan,

How long ago did you take the test?

Was it through Experior?

R
I took it in November of last year, and no it was not through experior.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
E
I took all three one day years ago (93?, 94?)at Yale (pencil and paper). I took other trade exams through NCPCCI in Warwick, RI (computer touch screen). No sweat, just use the practice books offered by IAEI. Get in the test taking mode, concentrate, focus, you will pass every time.
Earl

Earl
I can remember that the IAEI 2C examination for Plans Reviewer was not easy.

You should get the Study Guide from IAEI. If I could locate the certificate in my archives, I can reaffirm that the date was December 1979 when I too passed the 3 examinations.

After that, most of the the other groups, and some now, gone gave a reciprocal certificate.

I believe we need these tests to be sure that we at least have someone who knows the code.

Experience in the field, well .... some don't have that and often get themselves into a corner!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard