ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33994 01/30/04 07:01 PM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Got a job estimate for a 50a outdoor spa. The run is about 100 ft. I would pipe up out of the panel (outdoor panels here in AZ) down the side of the house to a disconnect, then probably run liguid-tite to the spa. If the spa has a GFI built in or on a cord will I need one in the panel too? I usually do a job like this for around $500 to $600. Wanted to do some price comparing, what would you charge?
Thanks,
Al D

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
#33995 01/30/04 07:24 PM
S
lotta factors to consider aldav53. does the panel have room? is there an outside GFI in proximity? does the disco (and $120 GFI) come with the unit?

~S~

#33996 01/30/04 07:42 PM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Haven't seen the panel yet, but assumming it does have room. The spa probably does have a GFI built into it. Can get a 50a GFI for the panel at HD for around $70 to $80.
I will have to buy the disc, about $20.
Will I need a GFI recept within so many feet of the spa? Guess I better check the code book.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
#33997 01/31/04 01:11 PM
A
Some factors I allways look at for Hut Tubs:

-Trenching needed
-If it has a deck how difficult will it be
-If the deck is being built will they work with me to leave a few boards loose or repair if I have to pull up a few boards.
-If the a GFI disconect came with the tub (rare)or I supply
-If something exsisting would cause a violation like exsisting Rec or lamps
-I never end up doing any exposed outside surface mount piping but if they customer does not like my price I give them that option
-The location of the disconect
-The customer - If they can accept the fact they need a disconect on the deck or a pipe comming out of the house (I allways tell them what it will look like first)
-The house is brick or wood
-If the basement is finished
-If the basement has drop cieling
-Space to work around the panel
-Space and size of panel
-The panel grounding system
-Type and cost of breaker needed
-If it needs more costly materials like a lot of ridgid or compression
-Weather (I charge more when the weather is extreme)
-If I have to pay any fees for the job
-Like you said length of run

I allways get the disconect that comes with the GFI breaker. That is how it is done around here and it is a little cheaper here that way too.

My prices run $850-$1250. Average run about 90'all in metal pipe except for a sealtite wip at the tub. My compediters prices are about the same to a bit cheaper. Once in a wile another company prices crazy cheep around $250. These are the ones that double tap the A/C disconect with 30' of seal tite across the yard. With the wrong breakers and wires. I would say my material is about $250. It allways takes 2 guys a day to do.

Every customer thinks it's like addind a receptical and should be about $100. Most think they are getting ripped off until it's done. Then they say they didn't realize the work needed.

The Disconect should be more than 5'and with-in sight (60'?).

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard