ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#33909 09/13/04 01:11 AM
B
Jib contact to 69kV, with sheet of concrete turned into a frisbee..

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

#33910 09/15/04 11:16 AM
S
Thanks e57 and Bjarney, great info.

#33911 09/15/04 11:40 AM
New Information:
If a line falls from a pole to the ground, stay the H*ll away from the darned thing, it will kill you!. GRRR!

#33912 09/15/04 12:27 PM
G
Now why don,t these lines short out across rain or snow as these would be a connection to ground at some point?

#33913 09/15/04 04:29 PM
F
GETELECTRIC:

with med and high voltage when the cable[s] do fall down and the fuse or recloser will not trip very fast due the ground restance and some case few lines i know of it will not blow the fuse unless get " bolted" or " direct" short then it will trip it.

like example 24 Kv line when it drop and it will keep alive until OCPD go out but the chance it will trip is hard to predict due too many thing around the sisuation there like dry ground it will not trip it at all and very wet ground it might trip but hard to say depending on water itself and when it is wet the chance to get shocked or electruted is greater and of course snow it will stay alive majorty of the time and most poco fuse have very long time delay to blow and i mean very long time to trip depending on how much over current running unless direct short it will trip alot faster

if need more question just drop a line here.

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#33914 09/15/04 08:10 PM
E
e57 Offline
Now why don,t these lines short out across rain or snow as these would be a connection to ground at some point?
Sometimes they do in REALLY extreme circumstances. (all of my line work experiance was <600 in the military and breif, but some of the other guys can eleborate more.)Like a VERY severe driving rain. Even then it would probably be very rare to get a short past all the dry gaps under the insulators. (All those stacked china hats) Epecially with higher voltage it would probably vaporize it before any short. At lower voltage it's probably more common.

I used to live near a beach, and every night the fog would come in heavy. When it did, the HV lines, (Big fat ones, no idea of what voltage they were) would shoot dancing green sparks down the edges and sides of the insulator racks to the ground line on the cross bar. A fairly load steady hissing all night long. Really creepy like something out of a Frankenstien Movie. One night during a storm they shorted during a horizontal down pour. (not sure if it was the wind that pushed the conductors together, or the rain closed the gap) A great explosion and then dark, a second or two before it all came back on. Looked out side and all the lines were steaming!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard