ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, HotLine1), 169 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#3361 08/16/01 05:38 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I've had so many other questions about U.K. wiring that I haven't gotten to the question of color codes. So.....

The original British color ("colour" if you want to be REALLY British!) code is:

hot=red, neutral=black, earth=green.

Unfortunately, it's a little more complex than that, because in 1970 we adopted a common European system for the flexible cords on appliances:

hot=brown, neutral=blue,
earth=green/yellow stripes

Fixed wiring cables cotinued with the old colors, although the plain green for ground has now given way to green/yellow.

For fixed 3-ph. wiring the phases are red, yellow, and blue, or for wiring installed prior to 1965, red, white and blue.

#3362 08/16/01 10:44 PM
S
Pauluk, the color code you described is used on all of the proximity sensors and photoelectric sensors I install here in an industrial setting. The box says it is an IEEC standard. Sure had this American guy scratching his head for a while. It's not normal!!

#3363 08/17/01 06:27 AM
In the early '70's I worked under a fellow that was from Australia. He loaned me his correspondence course paperwork from the "Royal Melbourne Technical College" to help me learn 3Ø theory.(star rather than wye)
We installed everything in our factory with the Red, Yellow, Blue colo(u)r code, although we were in Anaheim,CA. Did use white as our neutral though.
I've become accustomed to seeing the brown/blue etc., on machinery & the like but it certainly throws some of the younger guys off!
Do you use much 3Ø power in the UK? What's it's voltage?

#3364 08/17/01 03:31 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Yes, the brown/blue code is an IEC standard and those colors are used throughout Europe now, and for flexible cords in Australia, New Zealand, and a lot of Africa. As the marketplace becomes more global, I guess you'll be seeing more of it.

When the new colors were introduced here it caused a certain amount of controversy. After all, we now have blue in a flexible cord which is neutral, but blue in a fixed cable is phase!

Another problem is the green/yellow ground colors. Originally, the colors were about 50/50, but the sleeving used on bare ground wires now is mostly yellow with just a thin longitudinal green stripe. If it's turned the wrong way at the back of a box, it can look like a plain yellow phase wire.

Australia uses different plugs and circuit arrangements than here (no rings), but they inherited a lot of British technical standards, including color codes, distribution voltages, etc.

Yes, 3-ph. is very common here. In fact most distribution is 3-phase, standardized in the early 1970s at 240/415V. Normal residential service is just 2-wire 240V tapped off one phase and neutral.

About the only place to see a single-phase xfmr is feeding 240V 2-wire to a remote home or farmhouse.

Link Copied to Clipboard