ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#3356 08/16/01 12:39 AM
S
stan Offline OP
does anyonehave some sort of formula on amp calculating in a breaker box? i went to a customers home she is going to add a addition to her home. she had a 40 space breaker box 200 amp . she has about 5 free spaces left but is she already overloaded are they a calculation i can do at the box by looking at the panel box?????

#3357 08/16/01 06:07 AM
S
Stan;
well it would be a 'Demand Load Calc', i think...

#3358 08/16/01 10:55 AM
You are required to comply with the 1999 NEC Article 220, Part B. Feeders and Services.

You may also want to review the examples in Appendix D, they show the procedures for making various calculations.

Sometimes Section 220-3(c) Loads for Additions to Existing Installations can be applied.

The electrical permit process and electrical plan review at the local level by qualified persons will also help to clear up the mystery.

You may want to hire an electrical consultant or electrical contractor who is familiar with the situation you describe.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#3359 09/02/01 10:42 AM
B
Originally posted by stan:
does anyonehave some sort of formula on amp calculating in a breaker box? i went to a customers home she is going to add a addition to her home. she had a 40 space breaker box 200 amp . she has about 5 free spaces left but is she already overloaded are they a calculation i can do at the box by looking at the panel box?????
Stan;
You can do a load check on your own with a clamp-on to give you some idea which way to proceed. I would first check each phase and then check how bad the unbalanced load is on the neutral. I assume this is residential, and with 5 free spaces left in the panel you can surely add a sub-panel to feed the new addition. I have never seen a residence with a 200 amp service yet that was maxed out and drawing anywhere near that, generally they if fully loaded draw about 100 amps with a large load.
A utility company a few years ago did a comprehensive study on load usage in their area and found that the average customer drew about 27 and 1/2 amps which means tthat a 100 amp service is probably 4x larger than what is needed, but the code says 100 amp min.

#3360 09/04/01 04:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>I have never seen a residence with a 200 amp service yet that was maxed out and drawing anywhere near that, generally they if fully loaded draw about 100 amps with a large load.
Well, if everything that could be on were running at the same time, including the curling irons and hairdryers, I've seen a lot that could be close and no small number would be over. I will grant that there are seasonal appliances that would not normally operate simultaneously. But does that mean that I should not be able to use a bypass to test the electrical heat in the summer since the a/c might come on?

>which means that a 100 amp service is probably 4x larger than what is needed
on average. But the average is not representative of the peak amps. I think 200 A should be the minimum busbar rating.

Link Copied to Clipboard