ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#33546 01/26/04 04:31 PM
E
quote by Scott35
S55 is the ANSI designation for the 55 Volt version of the 150 Watt HPS Lamp. It has a "Normal" Medium Base - such as the typical Medium base used on common type "A" Incandescent Lamps of 25-150 Watt power ratings @ 120-130VAC
I have seen quite a few fixtures equipped with 150 watt S55 lamps with mogul bases, just replaced ignitor on one last week. Am I missing something?

John
#33547 01/26/04 06:18 PM
B
Scott35 implied this—but it’s worth repeating. I there is a multi-voltage [tapped] ballast, be certain that only two {of say, five leads} are connected to the {incoming} branch circuit. An example would be a replacement ballast that is labeled 120/208/240/277V. There are often wire pigtails, and on the line side only two should be connected, with the others capped off/well insulated. One of the unused leads accidentally contacting ground or other lead in the ballast case will cook a ballast in short order.

#33548 01/26/04 08:02 PM
D
Danny Offline OP
hi again,
scott i'll try and answer some of the questions.
1) mogul base

2)CWA i think

3)wires from the capacitor 2 to long side of transformer and one into the ignitor which goes into the lamp

4)i think the ignitor is the right one.it came with the ballast kit.

5)not sure,cause i don't have any type of meter to test it.

6)4 i think then one com wire so 5 total

i tried and it will light up a 15 watt bulb.the socket is a mogul socket right now so i can't really test any other bulb on it.
also i--i can't test my lumalux lamp cause i don't have another ballast.

i'd love to see other wiring diagrams if there are any.i'm going to search on ECN for them.please provide me with other link too.

DMan

#33549 01/26/04 08:52 PM
G
A while back someone else put me onto Advance Transformer online training. More info. about HID lighting than you ever wanted to know.
http://www.advancetransformer.com/university/default.asp

#33550 01/30/04 06:38 AM
Broom Pusher and
Danny;

From the descriptions, it sounds like you have the setups for the 100 Volt version of the 150 Watt HPS (ANSI S56) Lamp + Ballast.

I'll insert Schematics for proper connections, and Ignitor reference numbers (Advance brand). Verify these items are 1:1 for your equipment.

If you have another S56 Lamp which is known to be operative, try using it for testing the fixture in question. Let it run for at least an hour. If possible, let it run for upto 8 hours.

If that Lamp operates correctly, then return the other S56 Lamp for replacement.

If the known good Lamp cycles only in this fixture, verify correct input voltage + stable voltage over a period of time. Check at the Ballast's input. Look for drammatic lows and/or highs. If the voltage is >10% of the rated voltage for the Ballast, there's your problem. If voltage drops are found, that's another problem.

If voltage is OK, then check the Capacitor for its state of health. If failing, replace it with equal size and voltage rating.

If both voltage and Capacitor are OK, swap the Ignitor with a known good one and see if this results in stable operation. If it does, return the Ignitor for replacement.

If all these tests do not turn up a bad peripheral item, send the entire Ballast kit back for replacement. If you get this far, the Ballast was not wound properly and there is no field modifications to do.

Here's some Schematics for your reference:

[Linked Image]

Image 1: CWA Ballast for 100 Volt High Pressure Sodium Lamps.
* This is what your Ballast should look like (connections + peripherals wise)

[Linked Image]

Image 2: Linear Reactor Ballast for 55 Volt High Pressure Sodium Lamps.
* Yours should not look like this!

These Schematics, along with others, may also be found at ECN's Technical Reference Section, using the following link to the Section's Menu:

Menu For Technical Reference Section

Correct Ignitor Catalog Numbers (Re: Advance Transformer Co.):

* Short Range (upto 2 feet): LI501-H4
* Long Range (upto 50 feet): LI501-J4

Good luck!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard