ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
I was wondering if there are any online or mail order discount suppliers? For smaller expensive items like dimmers or maybe can trims. I tried looking a few times but after signing up to get in the prices were the same.

After all I spend at the supply house I am lucky if I don't pay 1.5X the Home Depot or Menards price. I don't like going to those places because they are so unreliable for what they have in stock.

Tom

J
JBD Offline
Have you ever sat down with your supply house and told them what price you want to pay?

I have never seen a supplier that was not willing to make some type of price adjustment. This may take a few meetings, think of how long it takes to buy a new car. Remember to allow for a slight price difference for any added value.

Most manufacturers force supply houses to setup pricing arrangements with contractors, but the big box stores don't have to. In our area Square D and Pass & Symour are the worst offenders.

L
LK Offline
Our Accountant just asked why we are buying material at the Box store, he told us we were paying a wopping 2 to 3 times the price for most of the material items, as it turns out only the PVC and wire, along with a few other items were less, all the rest were much higher. by,by Box store. As it turns out our local supply house is best price, and we get service.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 01-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 01-19-2004).]

W
Active;
Where are you located? I work at a supply house now, after years in the field. Maybe I can help you.

~Andy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I agree the big Orange stores are a ripoff and a pain to shop in besides. I had to buy some 1-1/2 emt compression connectors they were 3.69 each the supply house charges 1.33 each. Also their weatherproof stuff is high and their conduit bodies must be gold plated. They are only cheaper on the pipe and wire, and then just on the small wire.
The way they make money is advertise the main item cheap then sock it to you on everything you need to go with it.
I'd sure like to find better pricing on GFCI devices somewhere than $10 each.
Brian

P
Same over here. The big B&Q store (similar to HD even down to the orange color scheme) is handy for when my regular supplier is out of something I need urgently, but prices range from 5 or 10% higher on some items to several times the price on others.

Example: 4 ft. ground rod, £2.29 at the trade warehouse, £5.95 in B&Q.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-20-2004).]

S
i use Barnett for sundry goods, can't beat the prices even @ HD

~S~

W
$10/ea for a GFI. that's unheard of. We sell them for $7 or less each. If you buy enough, we can do even better.

E
Wirenutt, I'd like to know where you're buying GFI's cheap enough to sell them for $7. Are you using the new UL devices or are you still working off a supply of the old ones?

L
LK Offline
Eagle,
GFCI 11.70 plus tax at box store, 7.80 plus tax at local supply house, New with lock out, Old style at supply house was 4.75 and as stated Barnett has some real deals on GFCI all year long provided you buy eniough to cover shipping charces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard