ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#33365 01/18/04 07:46 PM
D
Danny Offline OP
Hi all..
I just recently bought a 65w bulb from homedepot...the bulb has no ballast,so i cannot run this bulb at all.The bulb is a 65w fluorex like this one in the link http://www.lightsofamerica.com/9166B.htm;
I think i need a ballast order to fire the bulb up.But what type of ballast?

E
I followed the link and from what I can see this lamp will only work in certain fixtures made by Lights of America. If you don't have one of these fixtures(they list 6 model numbers) then the lamp is of no use as the ballast is part of the fixture. Maybe someone else here can add to this information.

John
C
CRW Offline
It looks like it's just for those few fixtures sold by Lights of America. If you can't use it, can't you return it? Trying to match a ballast to it and rig up your own set-up seems like a waste of time and money unless for some reason you're just totally sold on using that particular lamp. Maybe I'm missing something...

D
Danny Offline OP
thats irrelevant to the fact...if you misunderstood my main post i will try to explain it to you.
My main goal is to be able to light up this bulb with some slight modifications.Which shouldn't be any harder than an HID.
Please shed some light on this situation.

[This message has been edited by Danny (edited 01-19-2004).]

H
Are you and electrician?

C
CRW Offline
So are you building a custom fixture, and that lamp has the features (size, wattage, output) that you need?

After reading more info on the LoA page, it sounds like that company has innovated and patented a lot of unique designs. So possibly they are the only ones with ballasts to light that kind of bulb. I looked on a site for Universal Ballast (triad, Magnetek) and I couldn't find anything similar.

Good luck!

S
Danny, I think the ballast is part of the socket assembly. Call for for parts - Energy Saving Products
(800)377-4545

Steve
D
Danny Offline OP
Thank you sir..Thats what i'll need,a Universal Ballast.I'm going to search more..I wanted to know how much it's going to cost for the ballast..cause i can go pick one up if i know the part number and price.
nope i'm not an electrician..but i might look into it--cause i like to build lights and stuff.or i could look into plumbing..anyhow.. thanks agian,i'm going to give Energy Saving Products a ring.

S
Danny, Energy Saving Products is the name listed on Lights of America's web site for obtaining parts.

steve

Steve
S
You'd think the fixture designers would have picked some other type of socket configuration in order to prevent "standard" CFLs and incandecsent bulbs equipped with Edison bases from being plugged into this specific fixture that requires the bulb the original poster asked about.

What happens to an incandescent bulb if you connect it across a ballast's output? Will it blow up spectacularly or just fry the filament at startup?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-20-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard