ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33041 01/11/04 12:38 PM
..We got this "great" job the other day,..rewire a 2-bedroom apartment/condo..All to be done leaving as much of the 3/4" plaster walls intact...Supposedly,they'll be dropping the ceilings down in "some" areas, and we,ll have to snake down the wall from up top...The "attic" is a crawl space,that even if I quit eating Mallomars for a month of Sundays,I'd NEVER be able to crawl thru..
All the phone lines that were running along the baseboard have to go,as well as the cable T.V.lines..the GC is ripping all the floor moldings up,I'll be laying the lines in the groove left by the old molding,as the GC is replacing it anyway..and I'm using the closets to get the lines into the "attic" and snake them down to their entrance point.We had run all of our BX lines to where they were going,only to have to re-route them after the carpenter there told us they were changing the soffit detail...Communication Gap??? yeah, I think so..I'm pulling my hair out,..everything they proposed to do is getting revised by the property owner...I'm just gonna sit it out and wait till they make up their minds...

...In the time being, I'm looking at another "total rewire" job in a 100+ yr old house..This time,however the house has been gutted..The plans the Owner gave me are elaborate and are unclear copies of the stamped set...There is NO legend describing the lighting detail or specifics...just the usual symbols for lighting outlets,..but they are not...some are to be recessed,some are paddle-fans with lights, while others are to be wall sconces..I told the owner that I can't give him a price without knowing what type of lighting goes where...he said he'd get in touch with the architect....I'm still waiting.......
AR..

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 01-11-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
C
Been there,attic rat. A while back I was involved with some "restorations"(alias-"fixer-uppers" in high $$ areas) and the best way I could go was 110/opening and all ceiling boxes were fan boxes-as per ahj- then we'd add in for home run, service drop, permit and specialty, with extras at T&M(T=95 around here) this made the bid seem outrageous, but we were happy with the amount of thought it caused- the gc and the homeowners left us alone in fear of either running up cost or having to get another license in. Most of these were total gut jobs and you really felt it in your lungs at the end of the day. I don't miss it too much.

S
110 an opening seems about right for gaining a case of plaster-lung , and having to give up mallomars ...

C
Hey, wait a minute- nobody said anything about giving up mallomars....

[This message has been edited by chi spark (edited 01-11-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard