ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
2000xp8 Offline OP
What's up Guys,
I'll be taking the NJ electrical exam in a couple of months and i want to start my prepartion, i've been doing electrical work for about 6 years now. Mostly residential and commercial.

I'd like to take a prep course, what ever the best one is, regardless of price, as i only want to take this test once.
I'd also like to get a few books to read to help me prepare. Anyone have any recomendations?

Any input is much appreciated,
Thanks,
Joe

NJ licensed electrician
W
Try Mike Holt's Website :
http://www.mikeholt.com/index.php?id=homegeneral

Theres some great material there from individual books to full on at home courses. I am in the process of studying the Masters Prep book, Assuming you have a copy of the NEC to refrence to its invaluable. Starts really basic ... but gets into it at at a nice pace.

Shaine~
..What part of Jersey are you from,Joe,..??
..if you're from north-eastern parts,I'd say get your butt to Bob Frangipane...he's out of Lyndhurst, and you gotta have all your certification papers back from the state,and your test date...because they gear the course 11 weeks before your test date...where will you be taking yours..Springfield,or Bordentown..??I took mine in Springfield....Good Luck!!!
AR

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 01-11-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
2000xp8 Offline OP
thanks for replying guys, i'm going to give holt a call on monday, as his site suggests he has an instructor in Jackson, which is where i live. Although i'd like to make contact with someone that's used his texts or videos, because 700-1000 bucks is alot to pay for non-personal learning, but if the sensus is that it works i'll pay it.

Attic rat, i live about 20 mins from bordentown.
But here's the deal, I got a letter from the state saying they received my info before the deadline date, and if approved (i should be) they won't let me know until feb 3, 2004 which is only about 8 weeks to the test on 4/6/04. And the 3rd is when they said they will mail out the actual application, leaving even less time.
Here's the link to the state info [url]http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/electric/examtab.htm[url]

Thanks,
Joe

NJ licensed electrician
R

Yoy should purchase the NJ Business Law Manual, and NFPA 72.
The NJ exam now includes Business Law and Fire Alarm sections.
BTW,
I have been thinking about taking it myself, but don't have Fire Alarm experience.

Try here for resources:
http://www.experioronline.com/njconstruction.htm

2000xp8 Offline OP
Thanks red,
i'll pick them up
Edit: Red any chance you being a little more specific with the business book, when i search for that title about 10,000 books come up.

Thanks,
Joe

[This message has been edited by 2000xp8 (edited 01-15-2004).]

NJ licensed electrician
R

Here is another link. See page 5.
They sell it for $55.00.
It is now called the Electrical Reference Manual, not the NJ Business Law Manual.

http://www.experioronline.com/pdf/njelec_20040101.pdf

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 01-15-2004).]

H
What you may want to do is check with several local electrical supply houses. there they might know of people who are local that give refresher courses. Also you can check with the local county electrical contractors assoc. (Morris County, Warren/Sussex Electrical Contractors Assoc., etc.)There is a Bill Harris out of Parssippany who gives a very good course. It will all depend on how far you want to travel.

Link Copied to Clipboard