ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 479 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#32884 01/05/04 08:12 PM
B
I was asked by a mechanic in the shop how high to place outlets off the floor in his new house he is building. I tried to find something in my code book but can't seem to locate it. I'm an industrial sparky so I don't do much in the resi field. So if some of you resi guys could help, it would be great. This guy is trying to build this house himself and I am just trying to help a friend.

F
I usually check the plans and if no height is specified the outlets go about hammer handle high or 16" oc. Swithces are 44" oc. Above the counters in the kitchen 48" oc. Hope this helps.

E
There is no code for standard residential. Most receptacles are 16 to 18 inches to the center of the box. Whatever the customer desires. Switches around here seem to always be 48 inches to center.

E
Dont do much new construction, but I have heared it is best to keep switch boxes above or below 48". This keeps the rockers from filling the box with mud. Makes sense.

John
T
You might want to have a chat with the AHJ. That might save some work later on.

R
i think that building codes only cover handicap access in commercial locations for receptacles and switches. i usually pay close attention to the switch height and ask one very important question " are you going to use tile and if so what is the thickness, finished height, and starting line from the floor.

E
Thinkgood, what does the AHJ have to do with this? Unless it is his house. This is a design issue more associated with aesthetics. If we have to consult the AHJ for plug and switch heights we are doomed! As for the box not getting filled with mud you would have to be below 42" or above 54". The mud guys use a 12" broadknife so anywhere within that span you are getting mud in the box. Really no big deal anyway.

R
Rizer: FYI, the clearances you speak of are from 15" to 48", measured AFF.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
H
As for hieght of receptacles, I don't believe that there any set height. Other than they have to be below the 5-1/2' as per 210.52. Unless you count a manufacture's instruction for say a type of refrigerator. The AHJ wouldn't have any say it that. I also thought in years past there was a section in the code book that prevented a receptacle from going below 2 feet in a garage. Maybe it was just a rule of thumb for good installation.

R
Harold: The garage height is a popular topic with me. Many belive that the mechanical code does not allow them less than 18", but I disagree, as per some of the definitions in the mechanical code.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard