ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#32380 12/22/03 12:19 PM
V
VOLTS Offline OP
Could I get some opinions on Aluminium or steel conduits. When ordering 2" rigid conduit for a job I ordered steel. The conduit run will be outdoors on an overhead rack at a chemical facility. 1/2 the guys are complaining that steel is to heavy but they are straight runs and I always felt steel was easier to pull through. could I get some thoughts? Thanks

D
The main consideration that I'm aware of(besides weight, and Code requirements) for steel (Fe) v. Al is atmospheric considerations. Are there vapors which would affect Fe v. Al, or vice versa? If there are no atmospheric concerns, I guess it boils down to personal preference (As well as the AHJ, of course [Linked Image] )

I remember years ago seeing Fe, PVC, CPVC, Al, Stainless Fe, and some sort of bronze alloy conduit. Where there's a market, I guess...

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 12-22-2003).]

I
Isn't aluminum conduit significantly more expensive?

Tell your guys to eat their Wheaties and get to work. [Linked Image]

Sorry not much sympathy, [Linked Image] we run a fair amount of 4" RMC, I have run 5" RMC and some of our guys have had to run a lot of 6" RMC.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
V
VOLTS Offline OP
That's what I told them. Love Your outlook IWIRE!

R
In my opinion aluminum while being lighter than steel is much harder to work with. If you over bend a 90 you can't take the bend out. It just makes another bend in the pipe below the 90. The first time some one walks on your pipe rack, the pipe will bend making the job look like a hack installed it. Even when using thread lube, the threads often "gall" up at fittings. It is too smooth inside and makes wire pulling harder than in steel conduit. It costs too much. I would only use it when it is required because of corrosive issues in the area.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
Surprisingly last time I bought Aluminum in small sizes(1/2 3/4) it was less expensive. For the life of me couldn't figure that one out. This was years ago not sure about today

B
From tank-farm and dairy days, aluminum conduit will tie itself into knots from routine exposed expansion and contraction.

Seems to me it's one of those "looks good in the catalog" items, but you hate it a year later.

["Relton A-9" aluminum cutting fluid smells and looks like 1950’s Aqua Velva shaving lotion.]

Broom Pusher and
Iwire;

Tell your guys to eat their Wheaties and get to work. [Linked Image]

Double LOL!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Bjarney;

"Relton A-9" aluminum cutting fluid smells and looks like 1950’s Aqua Velva shaving
lotion.

Must have seen / smelled this a few times myself - sometimes in the stock room Conduit racks, where short sections of Conduit "Remnants" (sp???) end up laying until the Sun collapses upon its self.

Me... Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
R
What about using al conduit in earth? What is considered supplementary protection?

I have an oppurtunity to purchase some 2" and 4" al conduit (roughly 200' of each), real cheap (excess from a big job close to my location). Would it be worth it do get these?

I can see a use up a pole (riser), or maybe even as a mast(it is a strong as a GRC mast, isn't it?). Underground lateral into a meter socket, would eliminate the need for a PVC expansion fitting.

Any thoughts?

Rick Miell

C
CRW Offline
I don't believe you can use it for a mast to support the service drop. I've used it as a service riser mounted to the building surface. In Chicago you couldn't bury it because minerals in the soil will corrode it. Definitely not in concrete. I never really hear of people burying it at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard