ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#3234 08/12/01 12:32 PM
Here's a toughy...

I get to keep the temp service for the Full Moon Music Festival, but I have to determine its value to know how much to deduct from their bill.

A UG Meterbase, 3/0 Cu Wire, 200A 20 Space Load Center (Raintite), 20A GFCI WP Receptacle, 2 4"x4"x8' posts with 3/4" Plywood backing, (I even used sealing rings for the PVC Nipple between the MB and LC... Got an odd look from the AHJ on that one! He said the Cu service wire was overkill enough!)

I've got about $350 in materials and about $300 in labor involved, but it has yet to be removed from the temp location.

How much should I give them for it?

I told them I'd try to be fair to both parties.

[Linked Image]

Oh, I'm still being blamed for voltage spikes... Guess I needed to have an Oscilloscope with real time printout...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
Aren't the promotors accustomed to the electrical contractor keeping everything that was purchased, without any consideration for its value? If it is a travelling production they bring only what they can carry and anymore added is not practical, so of what value is it to them? If they want more than scrap prices, let them have it and bill them in full. You will not be able to re-sell it for full price and will have time and space tied up in it, which may be more than its full value.

G
I once worked for a contractor that did the temporary for an exibition hall in Dallas. On top of paying $1500 to the promoter for an 8 X 6 stall, the exibitors paid $40 to the electrical contractor for 2 days use of a 15 amp duplex receptacle. If 240 or 3 phase or a panel for multiple receptacles was needed, the price was a good bit higher. The contractor did all the shows there, so he was able to reuse the equipment and was set up for storing and maintaining it. The guy that did the telephone temporary just abandoned his stuff after it was over. We were forbidden to take any of the phone cables home. It was thrown in dumpsters.

Unless you agreed previously to give them credit back on the temp service, I wouldn't give them back anything. At most you could agree to remove it for free (and replace that 60 at home [Linked Image])
If not, let them take it with them after you remove it and charge for the removal.
That's Fair

S
I'm with Scott's post above, unless it's bona-fide repeat biz.
I make temp's out of old serices i rip down, i charge a service call set-up fee and a rental fee for usage. G-rods are chargable and/or reused. If my bid is accepted, i waive the rental fee..

Thanks fellas, sometimes I can be a real softy...

It's probably my main financial problem when it all boils down...

If my current general contractor likes my work, (the dangling carrot) he has more houses to go up in the same development. All UG services, so it can be put to good use rental wise.

We've been burning up the diesel on the job were on now, the PoCo has been taking their time...

But it's all a gamble, and I need money, not a used temp service leaning against my barn...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard