ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ForlornWolf), 224 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
the buddy system leaves us one man band acts something to desire here...

Good Lord!,
This is not the way that I would like to exit this world, the ultimate insult to a veteran electrician. [Linked Image]
It seems to me that there has been a real break-down in communication in this case.
But, not wishing to kick a guy when he is down, I can't help but think, that even though he was working alone in a roof space, he should have told someone where he would be working and what time he would be out of the roof.
Surely someone at the store must have known that he was working up in the roof.
Would there not be a step ladder or even a lead-light cord near the access way into the roof space?.
The need for a Plan B, if you work alone, is very important, in case something does go wrong.

B
My sympathy goes out to this man's family and friends, too. I suspect this hard-working soul was one who felt it was his duty to disturb as few people as possible and to work 'behind the scenes' rather than make his presence known, especially in a posh environment where a tradesman performing work might be less welcome. There should be a safety policy where work such as this (confined space, after-hours, etc) should only be done by a pair of workers to improve the likelihood of assistance or emergency aid. I know a lot of people prefer to work alone but a company such as Macy's ought to have enough budgeted to cover the cost of a second worker given the alternative cost of risk and it should already be an element in their risk management plan. A car in the parking lot ought to be a clear indication of a situation needing further attention, regardless of whether a person MIGHT be working elsewhere.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard