ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32077 12/15/03 03:51 PM
S
SJT Offline OP
I guess we've all had our share of attics. Some are a real challenge to get around. How about the ones with the ceiling rafters of the floor below you are 2' on center. You have to be an acrobat.
Anyone got a story about some nasty attics, or crawl spaces? Dust, lack of Air, summer time?
Feet almost going through the floor?

#32078 12/15/03 05:34 PM
R
I did a commercial remodel of a building that was built in 1902. They had a suspended ceiling but decided to get rid of it and do the "exposed" look. That led to me being in the attic everyday for about a month, in the middle of summer [Linked Image] The attic had all the goodies...dead birds, bats, etc... That must have been the worst job I've ever done.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#32079 12/15/03 07:25 PM
M
I hate attics. I'll take a crawl space over a attic sauna anyday. I had one that they had completly covered with ply wood. And the HO expected me to fish from up there.

#32080 12/15/03 10:50 PM
S
Had a young man helping me one time who put not just a foot through the ceiling, he managed to get half of his body through it!

#32081 12/15/03 11:55 PM
I'll take a crawl space over a attic sauna anyday.
I think I'd rather work in an Attic than a wet crawlspace with BIG Slugs all over the place. [Linked Image]

It's one of my unforgettable memories.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#32082 12/16/03 01:37 AM
...Same here, man...I was in an attic...(as usual)..this summer,and I'm up there swimmin' thru the sea of insulation, and I heard a buzzing sound down by the eave...I got closer...(stupid move)and lifted the carpet of insulation and was stunned to find the BIGGEST,mother of all hornets nests that I've ever seen in my life...it was a metropolitan city of the winged bastards...I high-tailed it out of there,faster than you could say "Anaphalactic Shock"..and advised the dubious homeowner that if he wanted me to return and finish the job,he'd better get a "bug hit-man" up there....true story..

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#32083 12/16/03 01:43 AM
..yeah I do alot of attic work,..I can't send the "kids" up there cuz I don't trust them by themselves yet,and also they're so dopey, they might step between the joists and wind up in the dining room downstairs ...or worse....I don't mind it tho'..comes with the territory,..I guess [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#32084 12/16/03 10:34 AM
P
Crawling through attics has got to be my least favorite part of the job. Older houses tend to have quite steep piched roofs, giving room to stand up in the center, but due to age they're usually absolutely filthy up there.

Newer single-storey homes here tend to have much shallower pitch roofs, often the trussed type. The sheer quantity of struts and supports makes crawling through the already limited space very difficult at times, especially when the owner has had an extra complement of fiberglass insulation added so that it's almost impossible to see where the rafters are located.

Crawlspaces aren't nearly so common here, as many newer houses were/are built with solid concrete floors.

#32085 12/16/03 11:32 AM
M
I was working in my own house one time and was snaking a wire down the wall. I felt something slither across my ankle, looked and saw a huge black rat snake eyeing me. Yeesh, I got out of there as quick as I could without getting bitten. Thats when I decided to go up from the cellar. At least there I've got a standing start on the critters.

#32086 12/16/03 02:23 PM
H
I once had to run EMT in a crawl space once that originated in the garbage compactor room of an apartment building. There was a never ending supply of cock roaches that supported an equally large community of spiders that fed off them. The cock roach carcases looked literally like coffee grounds and covered the bottom of the crawl space (sometimes inches deep!)and hung in the webs. Attics? NO problem!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard