ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32107 12/20/03 08:18 AM
T
Does that stuff contain any asbestos???I hope not!!

Nope, it's even less bad than glass fibre, they say you can use it without gloves. I think it's still around, at least I think I've seen the logo at some sites.

#32108 12/20/03 06:23 PM
B
smokee — Tyvek coveralls [and maybe duct tape] are handy, if you don’t get any griping about disposing of them in your client’s trash. Maybe implement a standard $25 ‘expendables’ fee for the process, too. Suggest type with hood & booties. Handy use hints at www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001001-d001100/d001071/d001071.html

#32109 12/21/03 01:01 AM
S
I would love to meet the genius who invented fiberglass insulation.

I would like to ring his neck and just ask why.

Tev

#32110 12/27/03 08:11 AM
I've been in a few roof spaces and underfloor areas in my time.
The worst roof I've ever been in was way out in the country and I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the manhole.
There was all this coloured wool(like you'd get from a ball of yarn), it was all cut up and it was about 2ft deep, over the entire area of the roof space!.
And you can say what you like about wool, but Good Lord does it keep the heat in. [Linked Image]

#32111 12/28/03 11:25 AM
H
As for attics, in the 25 years in business, I worked in one so tiny and so hot that I almost passed out in there. I had the shakes so bad that I couldn't finish the job. Another time in the middle of the summer the attic fan blew the circuit. I had to crawl through 150 plus dergree attic, kill a wasp nest, take apart the splice that fed the bad attic fan before I could restore power to the second floor. Also I never ever fell through a ceiling but came close. In a third attic I was pulling a wire when I back into a hornets nest. I ran across the floor joist but missed one, stepped in between the beams, touched the sheet rock, changed the weight from that foot to the other, and kept on running. I just popped out 2 screws in the ceiling below. Plus there was the time thatthe attic was full a racoon droppings. The attic stunk, had SH** every where, and the owner wanted my to crawl around up there installing new shwitchs, and outlets.

#32112 12/28/03 11:30 AM
H
As for crawl spaces, had my share of them too. The one time we where deep under a house in a crawl space and came face to face with a snake, a dead cat, wolf spiders as big a your fist, and cave crickets. I had to work in a pump house and when I opened up the door, the whole wall looked like it was moving. The wall was covered in those cave crickets. They jumped all over me, in my shirt, down my pants, etc. I ran out of the building and dropped my panets to get the little critters out of them. Luckily I was working in the woods on the edge of a town. I HAD to go back inside because the pump fed about 30-50 houses with water. So I had toput on a hat, gloves, duct tape all openings like pant cuffs and shirt cuffs, collers etc. to keep the critters out. After about 2 hours of having these thing jump all over me I got the pump up and working and I was out of there. Ah the things we have to do to make a living. [Linked Image]

#32113 12/28/03 11:34 AM
H
Doug,

That Rock Wool was NASTY stuff. It would takes days to clean out all the little fiberglass splinters in your hands. I always carried, coveralls, face masks and gloves in all my trucks. You never knew when you were going to need it.

#32114 12/28/03 11:53 AM
E
I've been told that vermiculite has asbestos in it. t is also used in gardens to retain moisture in the Summer. You can imagine what it does if a roof leaks.
Three attics I worked in had aluminum foil stretched across the rafters. Some shyster in years past must of convinced people it was insulation. One atic was full of wood chips. What a fire hazard.
Crawl spaces. Visqueen ground cover with pools of cat pee was the worst.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard