ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32097 12/17/03 11:48 AM
P
Bill,
That Blown-in stuff is bad.
Is that the Vermiculite chip insulation you're talking about? (Like small balls of polystyrene). I have that stuff in my attic, and I do tend to bring some down with me each time I go up there, but I'd rather that than crawl through itchy fiberglass.

so why do plumbers make out better than us..? it ain't fair...you don't see them crawling around,swiiming thru insulation and vermin detritus
My local plumber would probably disagree with you there. [Linked Image] I've worked with him on quite a few projects in my area, and he's often up there! See, there is some justice... [Linked Image]

#32098 12/17/03 02:15 PM
D
Just got done fishin' a replacement NM home run for my customer's house (the same one with those "compliant" installations in the pictures board).

House is a hip roof (all four sides slant), built in 19 ought-something (old house smell), with blown in fiberglass insulation in it - and I'm face first in the stuff reaching into a 5"x5"x6" triangle access by the corner to snare the lead wire to pull up the NM.

Came down with a cold over the next few days - figure it's my immune system telling me to mask up next time.

BTW, 16" o.c. = 16-24" more-or-less in old house construction. And the abandoned knobs from the K&T make great knee-catchers!

#32099 12/17/03 02:18 PM
H
No, I don't envy plumbers. Many years ago I was working in a new condo development. I was finishing up a panel that was located in a utility closet in one of the units. At my feet was a scuttle hole that accessed the crawl space below. Along comes the plumber with a tubing cutter, torch and some tools and down the scuttle hole he goes. Now, since all the plumbing fixtures were already installed, unbeknownst to this guy all the other trades made use of them for quite some time. Only problem was the 3" copper riser from like 3 floors was capped in the crawlspace and never connected to the cast iron sewer line. Apparently this guy was there to take care if that. I hear him put the cutter on the pipe and give it a turn or two and then all I hear is GET ME A BUCKET QUICK!!

#32100 12/17/03 04:25 PM
Boy, that would put me off being a Plumber for sure!
Is that the Vermiculite chip insulation you're talking about?
Paul,

I've seen a couple different types of Insulation used. The Vermiculite chips, tiny styrofoam pellets and the kind I was referring to above is like gray lint (sorry, I have no idea what it's made of). The stuff I was talking about sticks to clothing and sweaty skin real well so when you come out you're a real mess!

Anybody know what that gray stuff is?

Bill

Bill
#32101 12/17/03 04:41 PM
C
It's Cellulose fill. Fire treated Newspaper actually.

#32102 12/17/03 05:37 PM
E
I, too, work in many attics. I wear my hard hat most of the time because in years past, I got sick of cutting my head open on protruding nails from the roofers. Recently completed a job where I had to install a new bathroom exhaust fan/light/night-light combo. Went up in the attic, where there was rolled insulation, peeled it back, and uncovered tons of mouse skeletons. Freaked me out.

#32103 12/18/03 01:51 AM
D
BTW - That gray "dirty cotton ball" stuff used to have the trade name of "Rock Wool" back in the day.

#32104 12/19/03 07:22 AM
P
the kind I was referring to above is like gray lint
Ah, I know the stuff you mean. It doesn't seem to be that common over here, but I see it from time to time.

#32105 12/19/03 10:24 AM
That gray "dirty cotton ball" stuff used to have the trade name of "Rock Wool" back in the day.
Does that stuff contain any asbestos???I hope not!!

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#32106 12/19/03 10:46 PM
S
I had to crawl under a trailer (mobile home) one time that had a fenced in yard that the owner keep dogs in. Well the dogs had puppies and they would get though the skirting and stay under the trailer. This meant that they would crap there also. I crawled on my elbows and toes the entire time. This was exhausting, but it keep me from having to slide thought the crap.

I have started wearing my coveralls when I have to go in to either an attic or crawlspace. This makes it much nicer when you come out and peal off most of the insulation or dirt.

What I hate the most about both is the spider webs. This is assuming that there are not any snakes around.

I rush in where others flee.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard