ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 217 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
I have seen Wagos when doing service calls.

No the Wago was not the problem but getting the conductors out for some trouble shooting was a pain in the wago. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
Andy,

I have seen the Wagos and they are being used on a big job in one of my towns. It is a big Res. senior housing complex. I can not fail a job if someone is using UL approved wirenuts but my question still would be, what difference does the Wago have that the pin back receptacle does not?

I
Yeah Harold I figured as much, [Linked Image] it is the formans choice, not a company thing.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-07-2003).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
S
what difference does the Wago have that the pin back receptacle does not?

an NRTL rep that sits on a CMP ??

I have held Wagos in my hand.
I've disassembled Wagos on my desk.
I've unhappily connected wires to them on DIN rail terminal strips in machinery.
I've been informed on this Forum that the clamp is not stainless steel, as I thought, but "spring copper" (my magnet picks them up).
They may spread stranded conductors evenly throughout the clamping zone, but that zone is less than 1/16", as shown in andy's picture.
I find it hard to believe that this puny, sharp edge would not eventually cut into the conductor if it was vibrated or rotated.
A wire nut provides conductor to conductor contact for virtually the entire stripped lengths. See how many hands it takes to just pull one apart. I've done demo, and seen that sometimes when ripping wire out, I can just about hang my 200 pounds from a conductor that's spliced in a box down the line without the wire nut coming apart.
What's next, sheet metal split bolts?? [Linked Image]...S

C
C-H Offline
The depicted version looks a bit primitive. Why is there no spring loaded plate on the underside to keep the wire pressed to the metal above? (You know, an engineer who gets something in his hand will always try to find ways of improving it. [Linked Image] )

I'll echo Iwire's comment on getting the wire out. But, solder it? Are you kidding? Is that even legal?

The difference between a connector and a device might be there is vibration from the device? Or simply a different panel who makes the decisions, like Sparky says...

I
By C-H
I'll echo Iwire's comment on getting the wire out. But, solder it? Are you kidding? Is that even legal?

I only brought up soldering because of Scotts coment. [Linked Image]

By Electricmanscott
Reminds me of them twist on wire "nuts" I think they called 'em. Another passing fad. Now excuse me while I heat my soldering iron....

But yes I could solder if I wanted to.

By electure
What's next, sheet metal split bolts??

Please do not give anyone ideas, [Linked Image] the split bolts I get now are made out of junk as it is. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
S
I can just about hang my 200 pounds from a conductor that's spliced in a box down the line without the wire nut coming apart

electure, of course you realize i'm going to have to go out and do this now....

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard