ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
A home inspector notes a receptacle in the pool equipment area that does not work. The home buyer wants it fixed. Electrician arrives and discovers the receptacle was originally connected to the 220 pump circuit (which has a neutral conductor in addition to a grounding conductor). 680-6(a) says the required receptacle must be supplied by a general purpose branch circuit. I know somewhere it also prohibits tapping a dedicated circuit for another load but I can't find it. The original installation is from 1969. It would be a major job to bring another circuit in. What would you do?
Brian

S
Brian, would it be possible to install a breaker panel near the pump and turn the "pump circuit" into a feeder for the new panel? Then run the pump and receptacle circuits from the new panel.

steve

Steve
S
i wonder if 430.27 (or maybe something else in part 11) would help??

~S~

E
I think this is a question about local ordinance that defines what part of existing installations must be upgraded to the most modern version of the NEC in effect for the jusrisdiction when a repair of the existing installation occurs.

The 1969 installation, arguably, was installed under the 1968 NEC which has no requirement for the convenience receptacle. The required outlet that you site as 680-6(a) wasn't introduced until the 1981 edition of the NEC, and it wasn't until the '99 NEC that the required outlet was to be extended from a general lighting circuit.

What gets grandfathered in, in this jurisdiction?

If all that is required to restore the receptacle installation to service is the replacement of the device or the repair of a conductor splice, that's what I'd do.

Al Hildenbrand
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sparky,
We're still using the 99 Code. 430-27 refers to ampacity of conductors between motor and capacitor. I need to get a copy of the 02 but I've been putting it off.
ElectricAL,
I believe I'm going to do just that.
Thanks, Brian

Link Copied to Clipboard