ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP

R
Has anyone tried the Lightkeeper Repair Tool ? My brother just got one and said it worked on 4 out of the 5 sets that he tried it on.
Here is one of their questions and answers about the tool:
Does the LightKeeper repair bulb Filaments(Lighting Elements)?
No. The LightKeepers Quick Fix Piezo addresses the repair of bulb "shunts" to complete circuits. The LightKeeper but does not bring a bad bulb back to life.

Bad bulbs should be replaced when noticed to prolong the life of the light set. The increased voltage due to burned out bulbs, increases the failure rate of the remaining bulbs.
I always thought that the shunt in the bulb had a higher resistance than that of the filament and that an open filament in a bulb would reduce the voltage to the other bulbs in the set.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 12-01-2003).]

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks for the link, Don. I'm going to Sears today. I'll look one over.

It's hard to believe that another year has gone by.
Happy Holidays to all.

P
I always thought that the shunt in the bulb had a higher resistance than that of the filament and that an open filament in a bulb would reduce the voltage to the other bulbs in the set.

Don,

I've never seen that in any of the bulbs used on sets in Britain. When the filament burns out, the shunt just bridges the contacts directly (Sometimes! [Linked Image]).

It's quite noticable that the rest of the typical string of 20 lamps are brighter once two or three bulbs have shunted out, and of course the increased voltage can soon result in a chain reaction taking out more bulbs quite quickly.

Sets sold here usually come with one "fuse bulb" (identified by plain glass with just a white-painted tip) intended to open the circuit if too many regular bulbs short out. In practice it quite often takes 5 or 6 to go before the fuse bulb operates.

:
oh yes, big problems also here in germany. all sets like these run on 24V with transformer. the bridges of cheap sets never work, the bridges of good setz partially work....

does that detector also work on 24VAC?
how much is it?

W
Once you get your light sets working, try this scheme: http://home.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/xmassp.html Most of the sets will vary in brightness as a few sets' blinkers start blinking. Also, the bulbs will last much longer, but still be plenty bright.

Link Copied to Clipboard