ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I know how to wire a cat 5 rj-45 jack and crimp it, but I'd like to know more about wiring up phone cord to rj-11 jacks, cat 3, etc.

Can anyone here tell me where I can find good instructions and diagrams on wiring cat 3 and phone cord to rj-11 jacks? (Web pages, not books or videos, please!)

Thanks for your help!

R
You can find some basic info here and some more here .
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
Thanks resqcapt, I looked around on those sites and that was interesting info, but didn't find what I needed regarding how to wire the actual rj-11 modular plug. Can anybody help me with 2-wire and 4-wire diagrams?

I'm looking at a 2-wire phone cord, and as I look down on one plug next to the other with the modular plugs pointing in the same direction away from me, it's wired green on the left, red on the right on one plug, and the other is the opposite. This seems strange, I thought they should have the same orientation on both plugs. When I point them toward each other, end to end, they're opposite. Seems odd to me, maybe it doesn't even matter which way it goes.

R
Spark,
On the second link, it shows red on pin 3 and green on pin 4. With the newer phones the polarity is not as important as with older ones, but the standard is as shown on the second link.

Don(resqcapt19)
T

S
Thanks, ThinkGood, I saved all of those on my favorites list.

Last night I practiced with some cat 5 and rj-45 connectors since I'm new to the cat 5 scene. At first it took me almost 3 minutes to cut, strip, organize the 8 wires, cut them to length, put them in the connector and crimp the connector, but I just kept practicing over and over until I got it down to 36 seconds on the stopwatch. If I work at it a little bit I can probably do it in 30 seconds, but IMHO it would be a pain to work that fast. I think I'll just keep it in the 1 minute to 1 and a half minute range unless they pay me a lot more!

Link Copied to Clipboard