ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#31638 11/29/03 10:33 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
I'm not willing to drag out this whole tools thing.
But I was wondering what sort of Power Drill (Mains Operated) is the most common in the Electrical Industry, where you come from.
Also, how many of you guys have a Hammer Drill, as opposed to a Non-Hammer Drill, where a Hammer Drill is not really required?.
Over here, with our brick buildings, a hammer drill certainly comes in handy.
We as a rule use the Metabo(German) Brand drills, they last forever, provided that they are looked after.
The one I use, has a 13mm chuck(key-type) and has a Hammer setting on it.

E
I'm not quite sure what "mains operated" means. Do you mean 110 volt or non-battery? If so, then for heavy duty drilling, we use Milwuakee Hole Hawgs or Hole shooters with 30" extentions. For light drilling we use either Milwuakee or Dewalt 1/2" drill/hammer drills. We also have a Dewalt 18volt dw988 drill/hammer drill on each truck. He have a Bosch rotary hammer for heavy concrete drilling/hammering that the crews share.

Trumpy Offline OP
Eagle,
Yeah, I mean't running off the Mains Power (ie:110V or what ever voltage is nearby)
Dewalt is a name that is well known over here, all the builders swear by it, must be really good marketing, there's yellow drills for miles on work-sites over here!. [Linked Image]

G
We use Milwaukee drills. Hole Hog,Right Angle,and straight Hole Shooter. If Milwaukee made trucks,I'd buy one.

As it is my, work truck is red and black.

Russell

D
Corded? Milwaukee hands down.

Sawzalls, Hole Hawgs, and hammer drills in our shop all have that familiar red housing.

Makita and Dewalt are pretty good competition, however.

BTW- Anybody using the 30 degree 30" extension tube ("bazooka"?) that attaches to the end of a regular 1/2" Milw. drill, and lets you drill floors or rafters without kneeling or ladders? My last EC used one all the time - my current has no use for 'em...

S
Milwaukee Hole Hawg and I couldn't live without my 30" extension drill!
I've had several Metabo power tools and they are some of the best made, nicest running tools ever. Maybe only Hilti can compare. Our TE76 is smooth as silk. I also like and have several Bosch and they are real nice too.

I can't stand and would never own a DeWalt.

Oh, and like I tell my helper. The most important tool, first off the truck and last back on. My Milwaukee big jobsite radio!

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
J
I really only use cordless drills, unless it is heavy masonary then I break out the Hilti TE25. I have owned three Dewalt drills and all three caught fire, one of them melted the handle on my linesman, since then I have only used Milwaukee, I have the five piece set with the drill, sawzall, circ saw, silly flashlight and radio. I also have two corded Milwaukee hammer drills and a heavy duty sawzall.

R
Milwuakee hole shooter, hand down. I got the keyless 1/2" chuck version and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

They also make the best reciprocating saw (sawzall), in my opinion.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
G
Milwaukee Magnum with 1/2" chuck.
We have one for every service truck.

GJ

M
I too only use cordless. I vote Makita tho. Have owned 3 of them. The first one I dropped off a Telephone pole my first day. I climbed down shaking my head, but it took off and ran like a champ for 3 years. Used it daily. The forward/reverse plastic switch finally wore out. I then bought a 14 volt cordless hammer for almost $400, but it was stlen with everything else a month later. The last one I bought on ebay for $50, and works great. Very good investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard