ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#31493 11/24/03 12:53 AM
B
One of my surplus tool acquisitations was a recording voltmeter for less than $100. It certainly isn't a Draynetz(sp) but can give you a clue as to where to look. I also got a $30 amp clamp for it. It is not unreasonable to make a 24 hr tape. It's nice to have evidence when you want to finger point.

#31494 11/24/03 01:07 AM
C
Do any of the neighbors possibly possess heat pump(s) that have a failing compressor or compressor start components?

I did run into this exact situation several years ago, and found that the next door neighbor had a heat pump that was trying to start and locking out. It only happened in the evening, after they got home from work and turned the thermostat up. They didn't really know they had a problem, as the resistance backup was covering the load. I heard the thing groan and snap when I was outside looking at my customers' meterbase.

It's all about integrity.
#31495 11/24/03 05:05 AM
W
I have had dimming lights on one leg at my house for a couple of months. I have gone round and round with the power company and was confident that it was not on my side of the meter. I finally got ugly enough that they sent someone that would spend some time.

We loaded up the house - all appliances on.
He added "The Beast" to the service load and found a crimp connection on the pole was getting hot.
The service drop is maybe 6 months old. So all connections were recent.
He remade all connections at the pole and at the weatherhead.

Problem solved.....finally.

The moral of the story is: Maybe it is a crimped connection on the pole. They can look good and still be a problem.

#31496 11/29/03 07:33 AM
M
Met with power company on Wedneday and they changed the crimps on the weatherhead. No signs of arcing on the buss bar and the meter was tight. Called the homeowner last evening and the lights are still dimming. I am requesting that the place a tester (meter) on the service.

#31497 11/29/03 04:57 PM
minangelo,
My $0.02 worth,
If I were trouble-shooting this fault,
I'd be looking at the Step-down Transformer itself, it sounds like there may be an internal connection problem, possibly where the HV or LV connections come through the Bushing on the Transformer body.
BTW, when the lights dim, did you notice any particular noises coming from the pole wiring or the Xformer, like a buzzing sound?. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard