ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 280 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#31456 11/22/03 10:57 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Over here, with the hiring of new Apprentices(if we can get them!), there is a need to define what basic tools a new entrant to the trade should have in the way of basic Hand Tools.
There was a list passed around over here a while back, but it seemed like too few tools, here is what we had as a start:
  • Linesmans Pliers
  • Diagonal Cutters
  • Long Nosed Pliers
  • A decent set of screwdrivers, if Insulated, all the better.
  • A 10" Crescent
  • An 8 metre Measuring tape
  • A Wall-board saw
  • Automatic Wirestrippers
  • An Electricians Knife
  • A Square Drive (Robertson No.2) Screwdriver.
  • Some type of Solenoid Voltage Presence Indicator.

Does anyone think that there should be more on this list than what I have here?.
Or is there anything on the list that poeple feel shouldn't be there?.
Your ideas please.
Is there a basic tools list used in the US?. [Linked Image]

#31457 11/22/03 11:07 PM
Hammer and wood chisel ,Electricians tool pouch

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 11-22-2003).]

#31458 11/22/03 11:32 PM
Hacksaw
Pouch for Staples/Screws etc.

Bill
#31459 11/22/03 11:36 PM
S
Don't forget the black insulating tape!!!!

That no-contact voltage probe with the end that glows as you get it near a live conductor?

#31460 11/23/03 08:37 AM
P
A power drill and bits for wood, metal, and masonry.

A least a couple of files: Flat and round.

A decent multi-meter, not just a solenoid voltage tester.

In the U.K., Pozi-Driv screwdrivers as well as flat and Phillips.

#31461 11/23/03 08:51 AM
S
whatever can fit in my bucketboss, which serves also as a parts tray, trash can, lunch bucket, as well as a step stool...

#31462 11/23/03 11:14 AM
D
Trumpy - just reviewing your list - seems like a good start. Here's my $.02

Linesmans Pliers (get the Klien or Ideal with the fish tape puller slot in the back of the head)

Diagonal Cutters (get the Klien 2000 series - they're hardened to cut nails and such - if you only use 'em on Cu, they'll last forever!)

Long Nosed Pliers

A decent set of screwdrivers, if Insulated, all the better. (Or a good quality 10-in-one set, with extra tips, like the below mentioned #2 square drive)

A 10" Crescent

An 8 metre Measuring tape

A Wall-board saw (get a good one, not the cheap-o wood handled version, unless you're into sharpening blades)

Automatic Wirestrippers

An Electricians Knife (or a good utility knife and sheath - buy a brand name - stay away from the plastic $.99 specials, and avoid the cheap "made in Taiwan" blades)

A Square Drive (Robertson No.2) Screwdriver.

Some type of Solenoid Voltage Presence Indicator. (get the one that has the continuity tester integrated. Saves time tracing lines during installs)

Additional items-

Fish tape? Maybe only a 50' to start.

A pair of (8"? 10"? Whatever the "middle" size is) channel-locks - I've got the ones that resemble the Knipex Cobra head - there's a notch in the jaws to grip pipe more effectively.

A Klein or Ideal conduit fitting / conduit reamer equipped screwdriver (for those of us running stick). Also handy if you're using a hacksaw, instead of pipe cutter.

Auto-strips are nice... when they work. (My dad never could get his Ideal one adjusted correctly) I've gotten more use out of the Klein "all-purpose" wire tool (the little one) that strips 10-22 awg, has cutters, crimpers & pliers, and can cut/clean threads on 6-32, 8-32, 10-32, and 10-24 screws. On the other hand, my foreman swears by the Ideal T-series, and our boss still uses dikes (Diagonal cutters). Personal choice, I guess.

I second SvenNYC's call for a non-contact voltage detector. Saved me from more than a few "energizing" moments...

Carpenter's pencils, a medium point permanent marker, and a lumber crayon. Nothing like making a mark during a rough-in to confirm what (and where) your journeyman told you to install.

(as mentioned in another post) (Good quality) kneepads, leather gloves, safety glasses, and a hardhat.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 11-23-2003).]

#31463 11/23/03 02:20 PM
E
Fishtape??
Power Drill??
Hard Hat??
Safety Glasses??
Black Tape??

These items should should be company supplied.

#31464 11/23/03 02:50 PM
R
1/2" and 3/4 benders

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#31465 11/23/03 06:12 PM
D
The class I took gave the following tools during, and after completion of the class IIRC:

2 (cheap *ss) screwdrivers
Klein wire tool / pliers
DMM
Craftsman 4-plier set (dikes, slip-joint, channel-lock, needlenose)in safety orange
Linesman pliers (regular kind)
Klein electrician's hammer
100' Klien steel fish tape
electrician's knife
non-solenoid voltage tester
set of 8 Wiha 10Kv insulated srewdrivers (nice!)
Roto-split mc/ac cutter
Craftsman electrician's pouch
25' Stanley Tape measure
1/2" EMT bender (w/o handle)[good call Ryan_J]

As I said, it's just my $.02 - I'm also used to working for small (<5 man) shops, and I inherited a bunch of tools from Dad.

I'll agree that any (corded) power drills or saws should probably be supplied by the company, but what if somebody else grabs the last roll of tape? As the newbie, you'll either get sent to pick up more, or get yelled at for not having any - even if it's not your fault. Better to be the one still working when the discovery is made.

(BTW, if you use your roll of "personal" tape, my foreman will just let me re-stock from the box when the boss brings another box by)

And yes, the company is legally required to provide safety equipment like hard hats & glasses - but having a backup never hurt, and I'd rather show up ready to work than have to wait for the super to scrounge "Parasite Larry's" old tobbacco juice encrusted hard hat out of the gang box or the back of the van.

We all know it's tough (and expensive) as an (-F-N-G-) apprentice to properly outfit yourself with quality tools, but I think we're offering our additions to the "basic kit" Trumpy posted more as advice than requirements.

I'm sure we all carry a lot more than the basic tools nowdays, hmm?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard