Thanks to everybody for the feedback.

[sarcasm]Hey, couldn't I just use some Sheet Metal Screws? [/sarcasm]

[expecting flame from JoeTedesco at any moment.. I was only joking, Joe!]

My local supplier just ordered a dozen of each of the various size hickeys for me, so now I'll have a goto box for stuff like this. Aah, the joys of pre-1940's electrical work. [WARNING - nostalgic tangent ahead... proceed with caution!]

You know, when you think back, most of their drilling was bit & brace, their conduit was RMC, and bent by hickeys (the little benders) or on bending jigs. All their wire was rubber insulated cloth covered, NM was even cloth covered (and that asphalt impregnate really does a number on your hands!) and everything was nailed. Porcelain switch bodies and fixtures... Bakelite being the "new" wonder material, and NOTHING was "compact".

No drywall (EZ-drive) screws, no EMT, no THHN/THWN, no cordless tools, none of the stuff we take for granted.

[OK, back on topic]

ElectricAL - Thought about something like that - kind of a "pancake sandwich 8), with a bushing through one of the k.o.'s for the conductors, but I wasn't sure about clearance under the luminaire's canopy, and standoff from the ceiling.

Bill - I know, I've had to do that a few times at my own house - those "no-attic" fan hanger are the shizznit! I'm just being lazy in this case, since this is more of a "fix up" for a buddy than an actual paying gig.

(Of course, what was supposed to be a "15 minute" job turned into a cussfest... biz as usual! [Linked Image] )