ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#31371 11/20/03 04:14 PM
E
need help on pricing electrical jobs. decided to go out on my own but not sure of what the going rate on electrical pricing , or what is a fair rate to charge . have been doing mostly residental by the sq. ft price but have had a few renovations that need to quote by the "drop". i am licensed and know how to do the work but need some help on how to bid jobs..any info would be appreciated.

#31372 11/21/03 12:15 AM
S
I feel your pain,

I also went on my own about five years ago. I know the trade but had no idea on how to do estimates.

I finally started bringing a notebook with me on big jobs, like a new house or remodel. At the end of each day I would write down what I did and how long it took. That's called job costing.

I now bid houses at approximately $3.00 per square foot. Depends on how extensive the electrical is. Recess cans make a big difference in price.

I don't buy any light fixtures except for the recess cans. I write that in my proposal. You have no idea what kind of light fixture the home owner wants and even if you bought exactly what they desired it would still be wrong. I Make the home owner or the general contractor buy the light fixtures and the ceiling fans. Your price looks lower and there are less headaches.

Good luck,
Tev

#31373 11/24/03 11:25 PM
D
Speaking of light fixture labor, don't forget unassembled light fixtures and ceiling fans take time to assemble even before hanging. I include wording to make sure I'm paid for the assembly time.

Ever measured the time to assemble a large crystal chandelier with all the baubles?

#31374 11/25/03 05:29 PM
E
yes...it takes me over 30 min sometimes to install a ceiling fan and light....

Link Copied to Clipboard