ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#31318 11/18/03 06:00 PM
What do you like about what you do?
What's your Favorite type of work?

I like troubleshooting, the head-scratcher type. It's been tough sometimes, but methodical testing has always provided an answer if I've kept at it.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#31319 11/18/03 06:24 PM
I
Yep I am with you on that Bill, probably why I am one of the service guys.

Down side on call every 7th week but I get to do some real detective work sometimes.

We do a lot of super market work so refrigeration trouble shooting is common.

Centrally located compressors in a rear room, condensers on the roof, evaporator coils and solenoid valves spread out every where, electric defrost, hot gas defrost, heat reclaim (diverts hot refrigerant to the roof top building heaters) all controlled by third party energy management systems.

It can be a fun time trying to figure out why the milk is frozen solid and the next time why the deli case is averaging 100 degrees.

The newest energy management systems are cool, touch screens and they can tell you so much info by text or graphs etc.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#31320 11/18/03 08:11 PM
What do you like about what you do?

Bill:

I enjoy being involved in the teaching of those who want to learn how to use the NEC.

I have been and instructor with NFPA, IAEI, and as an Independent trainer "on the circuit" since 1985, and after 10 years with my present company will reach my 500 TH seminar soon!

I also enjoy the student population and the different people I come into contact with, and since 1990 surfing the net and starting a web site that is used by many.

I am also proud to be affiliated with ECN and Dave's Grafixbynix Hosting Service.

Collecting old electrical books is also one of my hobbies, and I use my cameras to take pictures that I use on the net and in articles.

What's your Favorite type of work?

If I was in the firld my favorite type of work would include installing services, trouble shooting electrical circuits, and of course writing, editing and using computers

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#31321 11/18/03 08:12 PM
I now do service/warranty work mostly, with commercial, industrial & very occasionally, resi. I like the great people that I work with now, I like most of the customers, but most of all, I like the variety.
In the past, I've got to wire everything from underwater special effects & roller coasters, to rehab houses that should have been bulldozed
I see good and bad, rich and poor.
All of that gives me a reference to see how good I really have it, all told.
It's a good thing to be an electrician [Linked Image]
Favorite?
The look on some fixed-income elderly lady's face when you tell her she doesn't need to buy a new garbage disposal(although she's already asked if you can replace it for her), that a wire just "fell" off the switch, and there won't be a charge...S

#31322 11/18/03 08:13 PM
S
i like the diversity...

#31323 11/18/03 08:16 PM
R
I also love a good challenge. One of the things that I love about my job is that you must think. There are certain things that I would or would not do as an installer, but not everyone is like that. Because of that, I am forced to get into the code everyday (which is fine with me). Inspecting, for me, is always a good challenge.

If I were to pinpoint it, however, it would be inspecting services. These were also my favorite when I used to install.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#31324 11/18/03 08:22 PM
N
Would have to say industrial process/machine controls, particularly design/build stuff. Custom control panels, instrumentation, drives, motion control, etc. Am planning a retrofit of a large servohydraulic system to linear electric actuators, controlled by a PC with a D/A card to generate complex motion. Get rid of the noise and maintenance issues of the hydraulics altogether. Should be a fun job! [Linked Image]

#31325 11/18/03 08:52 PM
C
One of the things I like doing right now is dealing with something new, unusual or different, and being able to come up with the best way to deal with the situation. One of the things I would like to do in the future is teach, however I think ther are some things that I must learn first, and some skills I must improve upon.

#31326 11/18/03 10:14 PM
E
My hands down choice is service/troubleshooting, especilally motor or pump controls. At the bottom of the scale would be residential wiring.

John
#31327 11/18/03 10:26 PM
B
I like wiring remote pumping stations that are well out of cell/pager/radio range, with an absolute minimum of visitors.

Troubleshooting would be a lot more interesting {and productive} if it weren’t for squirrelly, self-important, low-level, production “manager” parasites asking when whatever will be back on. Anymore, such inane sniveling/queries cause me to become increasingly calm, thorough, reflective and meticulous in the process. Even slightly increased blood pressure just isn’t worth it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard