ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 350 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#31232 11/14/03 02:11 PM
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
I've got this wrist-grounding strap (a conductive strip of material with a wire and an alligator clip attached) that I use for grounding myself when I'm working on some solid-state stuff on my workbench (like replacing a card on a computer or diddling with an electronic clock radio).

Anyway....since I have a grounded socket strip on my workbench, how safe would it be to attach the wire of my grounding strap the the ground pin of an old male plug and then stick that sucker into the socket? Assume socket is wired correctly I'm assuming no problem....but still.

Usually I just clamp the thing to the metal casing of the power strip...but clip pops off sometimes....

#31233 11/14/03 02:39 PM
N
That's what I do with mine, with no problems. And I have seen grounding straps (3M, IIRC) provided with a plug intended for this purpose. The plug had 2 plastic blades and a metal ground pin. I would be a bit leary about using a setup like that out in the field, where the wiring/grounding integrity of the outlets is unknown, though.

For safety, a wrist strap MUST incorporate a high value of resistance (usually 1 megohm) in series with it, so you aren't making a direct connection to earth ground anyway. Just enough of a path to drain away static charges.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 11-14-2003).]

#31234 11/14/03 07:03 PM
Broom Pusher and
Like NJWirenut said, most Grounding Wrist Straps for draining / eliminating ESD have a 1 Megaohm Resistor in series, so the user doesn't become a conductor.
(not a train conductor! [Linked Image]...hee hee hee)

Just make sure yours has a high Resistance too!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#31235 11/14/03 07:11 PM
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Thanks guys!!

Yes, this little strap does have the resistor spliced in series with the strap and the wire.

I don't plan on using this anywhere but my own bench. That way I KNOW what I'm plugging it into. [Linked Image]

#31236 11/15/03 02:30 PM
P
I use of on those when working on MOS devices too. As the others have said, the high value resistance in series is an essential guard to your safety if you did ever accidentally touch an energized part with your other hand.

I have a regular banana plug on mine which will fit the grounding posts on many items of test equipment. It fits just nice in the ground hole of the NEMA 120V receptacles on a power strip too.

#31237 11/16/03 12:03 AM
My part of the workshop at work has an ESD safety area in it, with a big grounded safety mat, strap and multiple bonding points on it as well as an ESD safe Soldering Station.
You just can't be too careful with Electronic Equipment.
I've seen really expensive controllers ruined by idiots that don't take the simple precaution of wearing a static strap. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard