ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#31215 11/15/03 09:33 AM
S
gee, seems to me any of these problems could originate at that big orange place...

#31216 11/16/03 11:28 AM
S
I work in ontario and see all kinds of electrical work. The best was last week in a new plant. I was called in because a motor was not working. The motor had failed and blow the fuses and melted the wires. But the best was the 600 volt 60 ft long overhead buss laying on the floor. The forman saw smoke from the machine and tried to shut the power off by pulling the ropes tied to the overhead buss plug and the whole line crashed on the floor. There was not one local disconnect on any machine and a lot of machines were connected to power without starters or fusing. The installation was done by a michigan company and inspected. Inspection stickers were on some machines and a lot of the new equipment was not csa certified. I called the inspector about the job and asked if the could come out and look at the site. The inspector did show and got very upset about me taking pictures and went to the owner of the company. I was asked to turn over film to them and leave the property. I have worked in the trade for 30 years and have worked with a lot of great companys both canadian and american and never see work like this before or been treated like this by a company or inspector. I think i am done and will take a long vacation and think about retiring.

#31217 11/16/03 01:10 PM
S
sudsy52,

I think something like your story should be forwarded to the local newspapers and even the authorities. You'd have to hit me on the head before I'd give them my film. Private property or not.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#31218 11/16/03 01:17 PM
I do not really know about the rest of Canada but in British Columbia we are required by law to report any electrical hazards .

Division 4 -- Incident Reports and Investigations

Reporting incidents
36 (1) As soon as practicable after an incident occurs, the person in charge of the regulated product or regulated work, the owner of the regulated product and any other person specified by regulation are responsible for reporting the incident, in accordance with the regulations, to the appropriate safety manager.

(2) A person must not remove, disturb or interfere with anything in, on or about the place where the incident occurred except for the following:

(a) as is necessary to rescue a person, to prevent personal injury or death or to protect property;

(b) in accordance with the regulations;

(c) in accordance with the directions of a safety officer or safety manager.

Investigating incidents
37 (1) Whether or not the incident was reported, a safety officer may investigate an incident.

(2) A provincial safety manager may appoint persons to assist in the investigation of an incident.

(3) A person appointed under subsection (2), for the purposes of assisting in the investigation,

(a) has all the powers of a safety officer under section 18 (1) (c) to (n) and (2), and

(b) must report on the investigation to the provincial safety manager who appointed the person

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 11-16-2003).]

#31219 11/17/03 06:48 PM
D
Like all of you, I've seen a fair amount of WTF?'s out there - including the loose 14awg in the wall to power the bathroom wall fixture.

As far as compliance with the NEC, I'll offer this.

When I first started doing electrical work, It was under the license for a "handyman" service... of course. I did more that hang pictures. Evry once in a while, I'd get the "does it have to be done that way" or "could we do it cheaper" questions. I'd explain the code to people, and tell them that:

a) It's for your safety

b) when you go to sell the house, you don't want to have to obtain a variance or fix the non-compliant stuff later

c) as a handyman, I'm charging a heck of a lot less per hour than a licensed electrician does. Quite trying to cheap me

d)If I was licensed, I'd be expected to "do it to code". As a pirate, I sure as he(( will do it to code, since it's one less hting that they can bust me for if I get pegged for running wire

e)I don't want my jobs coming back to bite me in the *, and have you (the homeowner) cry ignorance and blame me when your stuff burns, due to your insistence on substandard materials and installation methods.

I ran all the work for a co-worker who finished in his basement. When he had the place inspected, the AHJ told me "Yeah, we know you're doing the wirework - but you're doing better work than some 20 year licensed guys - they're still following the 1964 Code!" [Linked Image]

Got my ticket a few years later - now I just tell 'em "if you don't want me to follow the Code, hire somebody else" 8D

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 11-17-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard