ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#30971 11/05/03 09:33 AM
A
Ali Offline OP
Hi there;
I know that Pual but I need it so badly for my future projects so i have no choice I have to learn it [Linked Image]

Another quick question [Linked Image]
Using a main powered electrical lawn mower is generally considered to have an enhanced risk in camparsion to switching on a main powered TV. why? and what we can do to promote safety?

what I thought was lawn mower's body has made from a type of metal which is conductor and users can easily get an indirect shock but Tv's body is Plastic which i suppose is not conductor!
I can't think of anything else...

any thought? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Ali

[This message has been edited by Ali (edited 11-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Ali (edited 11-05-2003).]

ali[at]frozensky.net
#30972 11/05/03 10:09 AM
T
It's pretty tough to mow down the cord with a TV [Linked Image]
IMHO at least modern lawnmowers aren't that dangerous because they have insulated handles. However, cutting the cord is still dangerous as you get exposed live wires, risk of a short, let alone the risk of DIYer patching the cord by twisting the cut conductors and wrapping the joint with some shoddy tape. That's again shock hazard (Such a splice can pull apart, lawnmower cords are often exposed to severe mechanical strain) and probaly also a fire hazard becuase twisted joints offer higher resistance.
From a non-electrical angle such a beast has sharp blades that rotate pretty fast so don't ever try turning it upside down to remove something from the blades or whatever.
A TV can only fall on your toes if it isn't supported properly.

#30973 11/05/03 10:28 AM
P
There are some pretty masty voltages floating around inside a TV to trap the unwary person as well, but unless the case is damaged or removed, they're inaccessible.

As Ranger has said, outdoor appliances such as lawn mowers, hedge trimmers and so on are generally considered a higher risk electrically due to the risk of accidentally cutting the cord. Add to that the fact that these appliances are likely to be used in slightly damp conditions with the user standing firmly on the ground, and there's a greater risk of shock.

#30974 11/05/03 05:02 PM
S
One fine summer afternoon I was walking up a suburban street in the town of Yonkers, NY.

Across the street what do I see but some oaf with an upturned gasoline-powered lawnmower.

His paws were digging around in the blade area, while THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING!!!! Something had gotten tangled and he was messing around in there with a stick.

Real smart, guy.... [Linked Image]

A few years ago also I read a story inone of the local papers about a little kid (must have been around three or two) who was watching cartoons on a huge table-top TV set that was sitting on one of those roll-around carts.

The child went to "hug" the TV set after he/she (can't remember gender) saw a favorite character on the screen.

The unstable set toppled over and crushed and killed the toddler. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard