ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
donles Offline OP
Does any one splice or tap to the GEC?
What do you use? I'm upgrading a duplex with 100 amp panels side by side in the basement.
Rather than run two #6 solid cu from each panel to the ground rods outside, I'd like to run from one panel to the rods. Then run #6 from the 2'nd panel and tap onto the 1'st panel's GEC using irreversible compression-type connectors. I believe this is permitted by NEC 250.64 (C) and (D).

I've checked with 2 supply houses and they evidently do not carry a compression tool or the connectors. Anyone have experience with this?

G
Donles,
Burndy, Thomas & Betts, and Anderson are the ones that make the tools and materials off the top of my head. All of these can be found by a simple web search.

If you quit that solid habit, you can use a Cadweld, made by erico www.erico.com
These are reusable for a long time, and do not degrade like crimps or split bolts.

D
donles Offline OP
What is the ballpark cost for Cadweld?

I've found the cost of the T&B tools to be prohibitive for my infrequent use. Although I did see a Penn-Union tool on ebay for what is probably alot less than retail. Minimum bid $99 for a TDM-250 and the auction was winding down.

E
I normally use a split bolt for this.

R
Split bolts are not irreversible. Perhaps you're thinking of an equipment grounding conductor and not a grounding electrode conductor?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
I
If you do a search on this site for cad welds you will find a thread that talks about one shot disposable cad welds for $5.00 I have not used them but it sounds like a great deal.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
donles Offline OP
I looked at Erico's site for the one-shot, inexpensive cadweld splices. Their site isn't the most user friendly. I did come across mold # PG11L for #4 solid to #4 solid taps but no details. I'll have to call suppliers tomorrow.
Thanks.

E
Ryan,

Couldn't 250.64(D) be used here, and wouldn't that allow the use of something like a split bolt to make a tap to a second enclosure as long as the GEC to the first enclosure meets 250.64(C) and is not spliced where the tap joins?

R
EPRICE: Thanks! I got so caught up the topic starter's question of how to do it irreversibly that I didn't look at the code. Good catch.

Scott: Sorry!

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
D
donles Offline OP
Care to expand on that a little?
Meanwhile, I'll consult the code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard